E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Rising oil level

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2002, 02:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 S350 Bluetec, 2003 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercab, 2005 SL600 Designo Silver
Rising oil level

Here's one I haven't seen discussed here before (and something that has me completely baffled):

I last changed the oil in my 2001 E430 on September 1. Drained out about 7.5 quarts or so (enough to fill two old milk containers with used oil). Refilled engine with 8 quarts of new synthetic oil.

About a month later, I get a warning message on the dash saying my oil level was too high, and to reduce oil level. I thought: "Huh?" So, after I parked the car in my garage (i.e., a level surface), I checked the dipstick, and sure enough...the level had risen to above the high mark. Again, I thought: "Huh?" So, I wiped off the dipstick and checked again. Still high. So, I next siphoned out two quarts of oil (through the dipstick tube...believe me...it's a slow process). This got the level down to slightly below the high mark. All was well.

Or so I thought. About a week ago, I get ANOTHER warning message on the dash saying my oil level was too high, and to reduce oil level. I won't tell you what I thought at this point. Checked the dipstick in the garage again, after letting the engine cool for half an hour. Sure enough! Level was above the high mark, although not as high as the first time. By this time, I didn't know WHAT to think! Siphoned out another quart, so that the level was just below high mark. No problem.

Until yesterday morning. Same thing again. I haven't checked the dipstick again. I know what I'll find.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before? I've now removed at least 3 quarts of the 8 that were put in, and the level is continuing to rise!

I always take my time doing an oil change, allowing 10 to 15 minutes for the old oil to drain out. Is it possible there are hoses or recesses that don't readily drain during a normal oil change, and that I'm gradually seeing that un-drained oil? Could I have a cooling system leak into the crankcase? I did have to top-off my cooling system two weeks ago (with about a quart of water into the expansion tank) after getting another message on the dash (I'm starting to think the car may have been haunted for Halloween, with all these messages appearing).

Any ideas or suggestions guys?

Rich
Old 11-08-2002, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
'00 S320 W220, '98 A160 W168/ sold in 2005 '86 260 E W124 '90 260E W124
Exclamation

Unfortunately this is not the right way to produce oil for sale. Just kidding.
Your engine has a serious problem. It seems that your cylinder head gasket is blown and cooling water enters the engine. It could be worse, and there are other leaks allowing cooling water to enter the oil circuit. Have it fixes asap, before more damage due to bad lubrication is killing you engine.

If you notice white steam coming from the muffler, even after the engine is well on nominal temperature, it is a sign for those leaks. The oil you change can also show brownish foam, which is the water content.
Old 11-08-2002, 09:36 AM

I haven't seen any brown foam in the oil I've drained out. It looks completely normal. I haven't looked for any steam coming from the exhaust pipe, but I will be more attentive and look for it.

The puzzling thing is that I've taken out more oil than I've added coolant.

How could a head gasket(s) be blown? The car is just past two years old, and has just over 37,000 miles?
Old 11-08-2002, 06:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 E-430 4-Matic
I changed the oil on my 2001 E 430 4 Matic myself and did not experience any rising oil level problems. I agree with Bamberger that this is a potentially serious issue. There should be no problem getting your MB dealer to inspect the car and service it under the warranty, if necessary.

On another note, I am curious about your folding mirror project. I imagine they came from the S series, but it must be somewhat complicated to wire them in. I'd like to hear more when you're done!
Old 11-08-2002, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Refill the Extra oil (Back To The Full Mark)and Take the car In To The Dealer, Let The Dealer Have a look at this..Also to Document this Problem.they can do a block check.With Dye,also with a C/O Tester Sniff the Coolant overflow tank when The Car is Running.
Its Time to take it In !

Good Luck on This !
Old 11-08-2002, 11:47 PM

Thanks to all...

Thanks guys! Looks like I will be making a visit to the dealer soon. Hmmmmm....maybe they have an E55 engine laying around....

For livetodrive: The mirrors are nearly done! I have both sides installed and working (as of last night). Tonight's project was to begin making the hole in the center console for the control switch. The mirrors came from a W210. Folding mirrors is an option in many other parts of the world (we miss out on some cool stuff here in the US!). I obtained the two (left and right) I'm installing from Mike van de Ven in the Netherlands (m.v.d.ven@hccnet.nl). He's great to work with. I plan on posting photos of the job when I'm done.
Old 11-09-2002, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E430 Desert Silver
OIL Mystery ????

PA28150,

It's really interesting! Are you serious ? It's too hard to beleive your story....

1. Undrained oil: It's impossible, if you said you drained out about 7.5 quarts unless you drained out the wrong one such as transmission or steering oil ???? ....

2. Cooling system leak: impossible, if it's the case then when checking the oil, you should notice right away (water, bubble).

3. The only thing makes sense to me is: The crankcase may have multiple levels and somehow the oil got stuck, can not reach to the bottom level, therefore it could send a wrong signal to the sensor, including the dipstick.

4. Could someone in your family add the oil when you're not there??? Just for fun, especially for Hallowen event !!!

If it's case #3, then physically there's not enough oil in your engine !!! You should bring it in for a service. It could damage the engine.

By the way, I would drain out and check it out again and see how much it is. You added 8.5, you already removed 3, so it should be 5, right? The new number will tell You:

1. If it's 5 then my theory is correct (case 3).
2. If it's 8 then someone in your house added the oil into the engine (case 4).

Good luck and please let me know.

Last edited by phungpho; 11-09-2002 at 01:00 AM.