E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Bruised Hand but finally all rattles fixed!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 W210 E Klasse | 02 W 463 G-Wagen | 06 Land Rover LR3 HSE
Talking Bruised Hand but finally all rattles fixed!!

Although I bruised my right hand  my car is finally dead silent like it should be and all the rattles were fixed this weekend. Thanks to OliverK for providing instructions on fixing the loud thud over bumps which appears to be coming from the rear shelf but is actually the headliner.
It was hard to get my hand between the sunshade and the headliner to address this annoying noise but after about 30 minutes of work and a bruised right hand it was done.

I then fixed the rattle from the wood trim area around the shifter. Popped everything out, clean all pieces and got it to fit tight with the plastic trim around it. No more rattles from this area anymore. Finally to end I fixed the last annoying noise coming from the lever of the glove compartment. Now the car is dead silent. If it wasn’t for this board I would have never figured out the fix to the thud noise coming from the headliner.

I also had the power steering fluid changed on my car and that has eliminated about 99% of the squeak I was getting at low speeds (5-10 mph) turning right and left. It has warmed up significantly in NC today as the squeak has completely vanished. Ultimately I will find Lubrizol online to address this issue once and for all.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:33 PM

2002 E320 4MATIC
these things are on my checklist too, nice. I know there are videos out there for dash removel, etc., but what kind of tools did you use? All the videos I see have the tech using that white plastic tool thingy...you have one of those?
Old 12-12-2007, 01:59 PM

01 W210 E Klasse | 02 W 463 G-Wagen | 06 Land Rover LR3 HSE
Ajent 420 - I did not need any tools the wood trim simply pops out. You need keys to pull out the radio and climate contol and also another tool to pull out the instrument cluster. Both can be purcahsed for a vfery nominal amount of eprey.com. Best of luck with your fixes Mate