E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Car wont start.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 01:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 E550 4matic,, sold 2012 E 350 4matic,,sold 2010 e350 4w,sold 2002 e320 se
Question Car wont start.

Car has a good battery,,,runs fine when its running,,,but the other nite I went out to get something from the trunk,,trunk wouldnt pop remotely,,nor would the doors open.I changed the batteries in the remote,tried it again and still nothing.Used the mechanical key in the drivers door,popped the hood and put a jumper pack on the terminals and started right up., Ran it a while,, tried the lock s and it was fine...Later that nite the alarm went off,,but no lights flashing.Again I tried to shut off the alarm with the remote but no luck,,, it went thru its cycle and stopped by itself. Had to jumper the thing again to start it,,,,WHATs going on here,,,anybody???
Old 02-11-2008, 01:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320 1996
had a similar problem with the alarm when mine when out, basically just get out lock it up and open it up again because the car thinks that it has been broken into since the doors have been opened, the last thing it remembers was that the car was locked. therefore it sounds the alarm
Old 02-11-2008, 01:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
doesn't sound as though you've really eliminated a weak battery as the cause,
at least not given the info you've typed. open the cells and verify proper fluid
level. perform voltage charge...at rest and under load. perform hydrometer
test on fluid to check specific gravity.

the battery jump pack is just a superficial boost. running the car gives the
battery a surface charge....only. if the fluid is down, you're not replenishing
much to the battery which is already weakened by lack of fluid. it may already
be marginal, if sulfation has occurred.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Originally Posted by stemags
Car has a good battery,,,runs fine when its running,,,but the other nite I went out to get something from the trunk,,trunk wouldnt pop remotely,,nor would the doors open.I changed the batteries in the remote,tried it again and still nothing.Used the mechanical key in the drivers door,popped the hood and put a jumper pack on the terminals and started right up., Ran it a while,, tried the lock s and it was fine...Later that nite the alarm went off,,but no lights flashing.Again I tried to shut off the alarm with the remote but no luck,,, it went thru its cycle and stopped by itself. Had to jumper the thing again to start it,,,,WHATs going on here,,,anybody???

Your EIS could be on the way out. You could hard reset the EIS by disconnect/connect the battery, but eventually, it might be out for good, and you won't be able to start your car.

What suck is that EIS failure doesn't regisiter any error code, until it completely fail
Old 02-12-2008, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 E550 4matic,, sold 2012 E 350 4matic,,sold 2010 e350 4w,sold 2002 e320 se
Max,,makes sense,,,never had a false alarm issue on the car in 6 yrs,so when I opened the door mechanically,and closed it,,hours later a small amount of juice set the alarm.
Ray has a good point too,although the battery is only months old,I havent driven the car since the super bowl because I got sick,usually drive 50 miles a day.Battery could be affected because it hasnt been charging as usual.
Now what is an Eis Zam??