E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Comment on Complexity

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2002, 01:07 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Comment on Complexity

I'm going to be picking up my 99 E300 tomorrow, and just out of habit (as I have with my SAAB) I went and got the alldatadiy subscription for it.
My Gawd! I never realized the complexity compared to my SAAB (and other cars I've seen). Some of the "descriptions and operations" read more like the Boeing 777 Operations Manual that I have some familiarity with...for example:

".....the front passenger-side door control module (N69/2) transmits a CAN message to the passenger-side ESA control module (with memory) (N32/2). The control module checks whether the values supplied by the position measurement are valid. if so these values are stored in the passenger-side ESA control module (with memory) (N32/2)"
[This decribes the memory seat function!]

And there are just some pure areas of amusement - for example, you'd think that there'd be an electric solenoid which releases the rear headrests - instead they're actuated by valves in the PSE (Pneumatic System Equipment) which also takes care of:
- Central Locking
- Othopaedic Seat Back pressurization
- Manifold Vacuum Assist
- Remote Trunk Release

I also don't think I've known a vehicle so many all-encompassing modules which are named very innocuously like the:
- AAM (All Activity Module)
- DSSAM (Driver's Side Signal Acquisition and Actuation Module)
- CCM (Combination Control Module)

Just thought I post these musings...
Old 11-26-2002, 05:53 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'96 E320 (W210)
Reminds me...

...to get the alldata subscription. I have an earlier German enthusiasts manual, but it is extremely light on the electronics. (Very detailed on service, though.)

Let us know if you find a) the self destruct mechanism or b) the WARP drive.
Old 11-26-2002, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
And all this stuff eventually gives up the ghost. That is the problem.
Old 11-26-2002, 07:02 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'96 E320 (W210)
"Gives up the ghost"

Direct translation of a German idiomatic expression ?

Otherwise, I'd say the longevity of these components is yet to be determined. We'll see if they outlast their mechanical counterparts or not. Mostly likely, we'll encounter the same "Don't touch and hope for the best!" approach toward electronic systems that we see with aging airplanes.