E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

W210 replacing ignition switch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W210 replacing ignition switch

I had to replace the ignition switch in my 1998 E-320, so I picked one up at a salvage yard with a key. I am almost certain that I just cant plug it in and it will work so my question is, what needs to be done so this new ignition switch will work. Does the key and switch need to be coded to my car ?? Can it be done out of the car or does it need to be installed first?.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by konjax; 02-21-2008 at 03:45 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Originally Posted by konjax
I had to replace the ignition switch in my 1998 E-320, so I picked one up at a salvage yard with a key. I am almost certain that I just cant plug it in and it will work so my question is, what needs to be done so this new ignition switch will work. Does the key and switch need to be coded to my car ?? Can it be done out of the car or does it need to be installed first?.Any help would be greatly appreciated.
If you mean the part where you put the smart key in (the EIS, Electronic Ignition Switch), then I don't think it will work at all. The EIS is programmed with the car VIN number, and will only work if all match. You can only program it once, when it's virgin. Dealer sell you the EIS in virgin state, and loan you the green key that contains your car information, you insert the green key into the car EIS to program it, and once programmed, the EIS is binded to your car info.

Removal and installing of the EIS is easy, but because of this security procedure, all EIS replacement have to be purchased from Mercedes. Only one place in the US can program the green key for you (for programing the EIS), the Mercedes information center in NJ.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
88 535is, 89 318iT
so, can i just wire the ignition into a push button?
Old 02-25-2008, 05:46 PM

06 CLS500, 04 Tahoe, 04 Infiniti G35 Sedan, Boeing 737
Whats wrong with the original? Did it lock-up?

I just replaced the whole ignition switch system in my 97 E420. Oh its the older switchblade type key. What a fiasco. The key wouldnt turn one day. So, I thought that maybe the tumblers were bad. I bought a new tumbler, using my vin #, from the dealership. Thought I could just replace the front of the unit. Wrong! I had to replace the whole thing, from the tumblers all the way back to the steering lock mechanism. Thats a real pain in the ****. You cannot do it yourself trust me. Involves cutting the steering lock out of the steering column. Parts and labor, $800. Luckily I bought the parts thru a friend who is a dealer so I got them at cost from MB. The labor was $500 at a smaller foreign car repair shop. Oh, and the $85.00 tow bill............

Good luck.

Jeff
Old 10-12-2009, 06:47 PM

97 e420
i am trying to bypass it using a wire that wrap around the eis unit using the chip from an old key,i got it to work on the outside of the trim ring ,but looks like crap ,so i am trying to hide the wire from behind,
sorry i dont wat to replace it ,just wat to remove it to install bypass,and dont want to break it,not familiar with mb,been a honda tech for many years,sounds like 1 generation imobilized like on preludes,need rey key in order to program
i am trying not to have to reprogram,i know its a pain in the butt

Last edited by dirtbag_700; 10-12-2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes B200 2010
Originally Posted by dirtbag_700
i am trying to bypass it using a wire that wrap around the eis unit using the chip from an old key,i got it to work on the outside of the trim ring ,but looks like crap ,so i am trying to hide the wire from behind,
sorry i dont wat to replace it ,just wat to remove it to install bypass,and dont want to break it,not familiar with mb,been a honda tech for many years,sounds like 1 generation imobilized like on preludes,need rey key in order to program
i am trying not to have to reprogram,i know its a pain in the butt
To start the engine in a situation like you have, just remove the starter relay and with a wire connect the left and right slots together for a few seconds. This is Relay M in front of the passenger seat for my B200 T245.