E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

replacing bose system, wiring issues... help anyone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 03:38 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB E420T
replacing bose system, wiring issues... help anyone?

hi guys,

got rid of my stock system, a cassette deck and cd changer, with the bose amp.
tried to keep the bose, but got distortion that not even car-hifi profis could fix (i think it had to do with the 2-4ohm level problem, but anyway).
so, got a 6channel amp, put some more RCA cables to the back, and hooked em up (3 line outputs from HU) to the amp. then, i disconnected the bose amp and cut the speaker wires of the connector.
from a wiring diagram i found in other forum topics, i hooked up the correct wires to the amp also. problem is: no sound. just had my sub working.
then all of a sudden, the amp turned off (went into protective mode). and, on top, the display of my radio went out. however, it is still under power.
so, few questions for audio-experts among you, or whoever went through similar problems:
1) are the speaker wires connected to the bose amp actually the output wires to the speakers?? i don't see any other wires leaving the bose that could be the speaker outputs... what went wrong with the amp?
2) why did the display go out? hooked up another radio, and there cd'S would go in and out (hence, it got power), but also there the display never worked.
so, a cable must have gone out perhaps? what could be the cause?
i checked fuses etc on radio, amp, car fuse box, all is fine....
so what ghost is in my system setup?
who can help me fix this...should be straightforward now: got radio with front, rear, and sub RCA outputs, hooked up to 6channel amp also connected correctly.
why do i not get sound?? how do i get my radio display to function again?

thanks for your assistance, i am really in a bind here.... don't feel like paying 100$ an hour to some "professional" who takes 1hour to connect 2 wires or so....
happy posting
Old 03-02-2008, 09:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2000 W210 E55// 2007 Toyota Tacoma X-Runner
Sounds like something is backwards.....Like you grounded out your amp and blew an internal fuse, check your amp for fuses. Then recheck all your wiring. Check the fuse on your new Head Unit too, if your HU doesn't have an interal fuse I hope you fused the hot wire, if not you just might be buying a new HU. Something is hooked up backwards....grounding out (that's what it sounds like to me anyway) You could have kept your stock bose amp...something like a PAC OEA2, or Scosche OEA4 both give you line level outs to so you can turn down the gain to the proper level for the Bose amp. I wouldn't go near your installer if he didn't tell you this...both components are like $20. No excuse for him not knowing this, today just about all high end cars are produced with premium sound systems that integrate "factory" amps . Also your bose speakers are only rated for 2 ohms and your running a 4 ohm load to them...which could over tax an amp running 6 channels.

Last edited by Tacjam; 03-02-2008 at 11:20 PM.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:20 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB E420T
hey Tacjam,
my point exactly....
i was disappointed the so-called "professionals" did not know anything about the car's system, although it's 10yrs old and they were dealing with a newer ML the time i was visiting them.
so much rip-offs nowadays, one is better off doing everything himself.
hence, the wiring job was fine... the only thing i could think of is that the wire outputs are actually wire inputs, which would explain why the amp went into protective mode. the fuses on the HU and the Amp and the car's fuse box are all fine, not sure about any internal ones. attached another hu to but had still same problem. anyhow, i am disappointed because i got the wiring diagram from a forum of a guy that did a similar conversion, so can't believe really that the outputs are actually inputs.... because, i don't see any cables that could be outputs. the others are thicker power mass etc cables, or lines to the bose sub.
anyhow, i think once i crack this baby there will be enough material for a DIY tutorial
thx for your input