E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Bushings and Wheel Alignment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 12:52 PM
Bam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bushings and Wheel Alignment

Hello guys,

Have a 98 E430 with 125K on the clock. The ride just isn't the same anymore. With the help of this site, i've replaced the motor mounts and the shocks, but it hasn't helped. I guess the next logical thing is to is replace the bushings. The problem is, I really don't know which ones to replace. Does anyone have pics of the bushing that need to be replaced to get the handling back to the way it was. I'd like to keep it stock, so no lowering or anything like that.

Another question is, my alignment is off. I believe I have negative camber (inside of tire wearing out faster). Would it be ideal for me to do bushing first before taking it in to get aligned? I'd hate to run into a scenario where I take it in to the dealership and they give me a call and ask if i'm sitting down, before they give me a crazy list of work that needs to be done before they can do alignment.

Any suggestions as to where i can take it besides the dealership in the DFW area?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W210 W140
A few questions:
-What do you mean the ride isn't the same? Some members may be able to point you in a better direction if you can provide specific symptoms of the ride problems
-Have you replaced your shocks?
-Have you checked the tie rods and wheel bearings?

Do not get an alignment before any suspension work. It is recommended that you get an alignment after any suspension work is done.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:28 AM
Bam

Hello Ed. Thanks for the reply. What i mean is it just doesn't seem as smooth as when i first got the car. When i go over a speed bump or hit a pot hole, it just doesn't sound right. Not bad, like there's something loose, but not solid sounding. Other than that, the ride is alright for a car that high in mileage.

Yes, I've replaced all four shocks with OEM ones thinking that would help. So I'm gonna assume it could be the bushing. Does bushing tie into the suspension? Is this type of job a DIY, or is it better to get it done at a shop?

I think the tie rods and bearings are fine, on a smooth road, its fine. Then again, i'm not an experienced mechanic.

Thanks again.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:53 AM

2001 E320, 2008 E63 AMG
Check your sway bars bushings and end links. If you go over a bump and you hear a clang. It's usually that the sway bar bushings are not holding the sway tight in the bracket.

mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=220998
Old 05-06-2009, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 MB E320 & 2010 Nissan Elgrand
Originally Posted by Bam
Hello Ed. Thanks for the reply. What i mean is it just doesn't seem as smooth as when i first got the car. When i go over a speed bump or hit a pot hole, it just doesn't sound right. Not bad, like there's something loose, but not solid sounding. Other than that, the ride is alright for a car that high in mileage.

Yes, I've replaced all four shocks with OEM ones thinking that would help. So I'm gonna assume it could be the bushing. Does bushing tie into the suspension? Is this type of job a DIY, or is it better to get it done at a shop?

I think the tie rods and bearings are fine, on a smooth road, its fine. Then again, i'm not an experienced mechanic.

Thanks again.
I have that problem too. The car doesn't feel solid whenever I hit a bump. Could it be my springs/shocks's life is finished? My car only has 33,XXX KMs tho.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:24 AM

1998 E320 W210
I have a 98 e320 with factory wheels. I just replaced 4 tires, because they were pretty bald. It still didn't seem solid. So, I just replaced the low ball joint bushings. The mechanic also told me the car needed the bearings repacked. As soon as the mechanic put the car on the lift, and showed me by shaking the wheels. It had little plays. He also lifted the wheels, and showed me the ball joint bushings were giving. It seemed to help the car feel better. I would check other bushings as well. I hope this helps.