E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

redoing interior trim, suggestions wanted

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 10:37 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB E420T
redoing interior trim, suggestions wanted

Hi guys,

i've been wanting to upgrade my interior for some time now, and mostly to redo the interior trim. ie, taking out the (center)console panels, trim (also in door panels), sanding them down, spraying them with some color paint & clearcoat.
any advice for me on how to best approach? what sand paper (grit), machine or manual, what kind of paint, amount of layers, clearcoat, etc...
want to make sure this looks new, modern, and classy again without having the paint chip easily.
thanks in advance for your helpful suggestions (and pics if possible)
cheers
Old 08-16-2008, 03:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2012 CLS63 AMG Performace - Obsidian Black
Well, just don't forget MB uses real wood- it already is classy. I would carefully think this one over; you're going to potentially make it not classy by painting the trim pieces, even professionally.

I would take off the wood trim and store it, and buy an aluminum or graphite kit- they're only a couple of hundred bucks / 170-180 euros. I would go with the brushed aluminum as long as you have a grey or black interior, and the graphite if you have earth tones. If you're short on cash, sell your wood trim on eBay; it'll get $150 quick. Then buy the aluminum. Are you close to Heidelberg? I lived there for 5 years in the military and know a few shops.

Chris
Old 08-16-2008, 09:29 PM

96 SL500, 97 E420
The trim looks good as is to me.

If you're dead set on another look, I'd try to find other pieces to redo so if it doesn't work out you still have the originals.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:46 AM
Almost a Member!

MB E420T
thanks for the tip close to heidelberg. am in frankfurt so would be feasible if i know more... got a website link or something?
so does iit mean they replace the trim by aluminum parts? would be great deal if just 150E....
or did i misunderstand?

on trying on used parts: not easy to find just that piece of trim that matches mine, as mine was close to full option so has more openings that most the pieces i find online or something...
i don#t mind the original, i just think it could look a bit newer and more modern. also, some spots on the edges show some wear or deterioration...
keep it coming