E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Sunroof and windows problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 02:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320 1999 Station Wagon
Sunroof and windows problem

I have a E320 1999 Wagon. For the last six months I have been struggling with my windows and roof.
I disconnect the battery, push brakes for 30s, re-connect and than try to re-synchronize windows and roof. Windows always work no problem. When I try to first open the roof sliding back, it would only open in about 4" increments. If I first open the tilt up and then down, and then try the sliding, it opens halfway only and on second push all the way. Usually after about 3-5 days front driver side or passenger side stops working. That is windows, seat, side mirror will not work at all. So I disconnect the battery, 30s... In about 3-5 days again the same problem.
I have couple questions:
1. Anybody with the similar problem?
2. Any solutions?
3. Is the roof supposed to open on one push sliding back all the way, or does it open always only half way and then you have to push the button again?
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 09-13-2008, 03:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 171 Likes on 155 Posts
99 E320
roof has two modes- hold button and roof will travel until you release button, or
hold button and roof will open in several inch increments. not an option is for
the roof to travel full lenth at a momentary press of the button

on the roof reset/resynch, while the roof is raise at the rear, did you hold in
the switch/button for a couple of seconds?
Old 09-13-2008, 07:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
Some of the behavior is correct.

When the sunroof is not 'sync'ed', it will open only in spurts of a couple of inches at a time.

When syncronized it will only open half way on the first press of the button. Release and repress to open all the way. This is the way it is designed. Most wagons exhibit wind noise when the sunroof is open all the way (on speeds between 25-40 mph) but it mostly disappears when the sunroof is only open half way.

Stop disconnecting the battery. Just repeat the syncronization procedure if it doesn't work the first time. Procedure is in owner's manual. With the key on, open the sunroof all the way using as many presses as necessary. Close the sunroof all the way and continue holding the button for at least 3 seconds (one mississippi...two, etc)

As to why you lose syncronization after a few days, well THAT is the mystery.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:34 PM

E320 1999 Station Wagon
Wink the roof is only small parthttp://forums.mbworld.org/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Originally Posted by RichardM98
Some of the behavior is correct.

When the sunroof is not 'sync'ed', it will open only in spurts of a couple of inches at a time.

When syncronized it will only open half way on the first press of the button. Release and repress to open all the way. This is the way it is designed. Most wagons exhibit wind noise when the sunroof is open all the way (on speeds between 25-40 mph) but it mostly disappears when the sunroof is only open half way.

Stop disconnecting the battery. Just repeat the syncronization procedure if it doesn't work the first time. Procedure is in owner's manual. With the key on, open the sunroof all the way using as many presses as necessary. Close the sunroof all the way and continue holding the button for at least 3 seconds (one mississippi...two, etc)

As to why you lose syncronization after a few days, well THAT is the mystery.

Well, the roof is only small part of the problem and certainly if I re-connect the battery and try to open it first, it opens in small increments. But after i sync, it works just fine.
The bigger problem is that the windows on passenger or driver side will stop working (for that matter, everything electrical on one side). So I have to disconnect the battery to make it work. I did not find another workaround. Any ideas? BTW thanks for confirming that the roof opens in two stages.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:37 PM

E320 1999 Station Wagon
http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Originally Posted by raymond g-
roof has two modes- hold button and roof will travel until you release button, or
hold button and roof will open in several inch increments. not an option is for
the roof to travel full lenth at a momentary press of the button

on the roof reset/resynch, while the roof is raise at the rear, did you hold in
the switch/button for a couple of seconds?

Yep, I always hold it on all the syncs (e.g. windows and roof). It just the windows always die on one side.