E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Brembo Cross drilled rotors with Porterfield brake pads for 97 E420

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brembo Cross drilled rotors with Porterfield brake pads for 97 E420

HI,

I am planning on getting Brembo Cross drilled rotors with Porterfield brake pads for my 97 E420. I was told by my local mechanic that if I put this setup on my car, he will have to disconnect the brake sensors and I will have to drive with the brake warning light on all the time. Is this true? Has anyone with this setup able to keep the brake sensors?

I was told by the sellers that these are direct replacement of the oem parts so they should fit ok.
But my mechanic is telling me a diff story, who is correct?

Thanks

Edward
Old 01-07-2003, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Post Drilled rotors and Porterfields

I Have the Brembos with Porterfields on both of my Benzs.
Yes you will have to Zip tie the pad sensor out of the way ..(To The brake Flex Hose) to keep the pad lite fom staying on..
Also You Must Install a Metal Shim on the Metal backing of the Porterfield pad to Stop the squeak..It will stop the squeak!I Have Had NO problems with the setup works very good..
I Would recommend to Have the rotors treated by Porterfield..Cyro treat(The Deep Freeze) It Works!!!!
It will make the rotors last 2 to 3 times longer..With out excess wear
Old 01-08-2003, 12:05 AM

porterfield barke pads

HI,

Thanks for your reply.

You mentioned that I have to install a metal shim to prevent the porterfield brake pads from squaling. Can you tell me where to get the metal shims?

If I just get original mercedes rotors with porterfield brake pads, will I be able to use the brake sensors?

My mechanic told me that if I disconnect the brake sensors it might also affect the abs function. Is this true?

Thanks

Ed
Old 01-08-2003, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 154 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
Who sells Brembo direct replacement cross-drilled rotors? How much? Thanks.
Old 01-08-2003, 12:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 Subaru Legacy GT Limited
Check Tire Rack, they've actually had good prices on plain-Jane Brembo replacement rotors. I can't imagine that the drilled/slotted rotors are significantly more than other places.
Old 01-08-2003, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: porterfield barke pads

Originally posted by cabby850
HI,

Thanks for your reply.

You mentioned that I have to install a metal shim to prevent the porterfield brake pads from squaling. Can you tell me where to get the metal shims?

If I just get original mercedes rotors with porterfield brake pads, will I be able to use the brake sensors?

My mechanic told me that if I disconnect the brake sensors it might also affect the abs function. Is this true?

Thanks

Ed
I Made the Metal shims..out of Sheet metal..Trace the pads and cut them out..Easy
The Porterfields Do NOT have a Pad insert on them..So It has Nothing to do with any brake rotor..Its The Pads
Your Mechanic Is Wrong if you unplug a Pad sensor The ABS will Work without any problems

I Bought my Brembo rotors at Autowerksexpress.com
Evosport.com also sells the rotors...NOTE Brembo does NOT make a Full line of replacement rotors ..yet so you might have to drill you own set
Old 01-08-2003, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 154 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
Originally posted by ajchenmph
Check Tire Rack, they've actually had good prices on plain-Jane Brembo replacement rotors. I can't imagine that the drilled/slotted rotors are significantly more than other places.
No cross-drilled Brembo rotors listed on Tire Rack.
Old 01-08-2003, 05:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got a list of hundreds of factory cross-drilled rotors from Brembo. Email me what you want (except you Kev, they still don't have the fronts for the 55's ), and I'll get pricing for you. Make sure to include the year and model of your car.

Thanks,
Ben
Old 01-08-2003, 10:22 PM

metal shim thickness?

HI Mark,

I plan to follow your advice on the metal shim and make them myself. Does it matter how thick it is? whats the best thickness?

Thanks

Ed
Old 01-09-2003, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The Shims can be made out of Most anything...I used a Thickness of about a credit card
Old 01-10-2003, 07:26 PM
AWE
Almost a Member!

Just to give my input...

If you install the Brembo GRAN TURISMO kit, then you need to remove the brake sensor since the new caliper/pad assembly does not offer this feature.

But if you install just simple FACTORY or CROSS DRILLED ROTORS, then that is independent of any brake sensor wire that you need to worry about. This setup will still use the factory calipers and a brake pad which is the same shape/size as the factory too.

Where the sensor matters is the type of pads you use, if it does NOT have, what I refer to as "sensor mounts."

The Porterfield pads DO ACCOMODATE the brake pad sensor (P/N AP710 for the W210) so there should be no issues whatsoever.

BTW - Brembo High Performance still to this date, does NOT have an official listing for the Sport Rotors (Cross Drilled or Slotted) for Mercedes Benz.

Check the application sheet here --> Brembo Sport Rotors List
Old 01-10-2003, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The Porterfield pads DO ACCOMODATE the brake pad sensor (P/N AP710 for the W210) so there should be no issues whatsoever.

Hmmmmmmm The PORTERFIELDS That I Bought from Porterfield in Costa Mesa Dont have Pad sensor Holes for both sets ..Both Cars?????W210/W203 Did I Get Jipped?
Old 01-10-2003, 07:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

Randall,

As we've mentioned to you before, we have access to many Brembo products that others don't. Brembo's master distributor, Race Technologies is now the only source to buy sport rotors direct. The catalog you link to is old. Unless you buy from them, you probably do not have the new catalog which includes part numbers and pricing for the CLK, E Class, SLK, and many other models.

All Brembo rotors that are not purchased from RT are not factory Brembo cross-drilled or slotted; only blanks. If you want factory drilled rotors, you are going to have to purchase them from somebody who is authorized to sell them, such as myself. Rotors that are not drilled by Brembo are likely to warp or crack, as there is a precise science involved in placement of the holes.

Thanks,
Ben
Old 01-10-2003, 09:03 PM
AWE
Almost a Member!

Ben:

That link to the Sport Program is directly from Brembo North America's website.

This is an old subject and it is not my intention, as I've promised Simon, NOT to get into a debate with Evosport as this is not healthy for both of us.

This was discussed at BENZSPORT before... and for those unaware, please refer to this thread...

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=12755

This is the OFFICIAL BREMBO NORTH AMERICA RESPONSE (07/22/02):

Hello,

In has been disappointing reading through the post simply in the confusion that has been caused for the customers in the marketplace. These are both our dealer's customers and ours. For everyone out there, customers and dealers alike, please accept our (Brembo North America's) apologies for any information or lack thereof on our part that caused or added to this confusion.

The simplest answer that has been stated on the board is that Brembo North America (High Performance Division, Aftermarket Division or otherwise) does NOT currently have Sport applications (Brembo original equipment sized rotors engineered and drilled or slotted BY Brembo North America) available for the Mercedes Benz C36 AMG. There is one drilled rotor in original equipment size that is applicable to the '99 CL500 (W215); the '00 S400CDI (W220); and the 10/98+ S430, S500, all of which utilize the same rotor that Brembo produces OE. This drilled rotor is the exception and has been made available (up to this point) in the Mercedes Benz family through our Aftermarket division only because we produce it as an original equipment item for these vehicles. Any other information contrary to this is just that, contrary and misinformation. Again, to clarify as to whether a Brembo produced drilled or slotted replacement MB C36 AMG rotor can be obtained through Brembo North America (Aftermarket, High Performance or otherwise), the answer in the past and up to the present is: No, it is not available. We are constantly adding to our program, so please do not take this to be a static statement of our program. It will continue to evolve and grow and with it will come many Sport rotor applications for the Mercedes Benz family.

The intention of the Sport rotor program (regardless of whether they come with performance pads or not) is that they are drilled or slotted rotors that are interchangeable into the factory OE caliper and that do not require wheel or tire upgrades. In almost all instances, this Sport offering is a purpose engineered and manufactured drilled or slotted replacement that is made to the original equipment sizing specifications and that replaces the previously non-drilled/non slotted factory delivered or aftermarket replacement rotor. In some instances, as in the Mercedes Benz rotor referenced above (09.7960.10) and as evidenced by the existence of approximately five more Ferrari drilled rotors and one De Tomaso Pantera drilled rotor, Brembo does produce drilled rotors as original equipment items for the said manufacturer and as such offers them through our Aftermarket division as a direct replacement part. We have not provided our dealers with enough information about the existence and availability of these rotors and as such confusion has occurred.

As referenced on the board and excerpted below, there are points that were made that hopefully will be cleared up by the following responses.
Referenced web address:
http://www.benzsport.com/forums/show...threadid=10972

From the board:
"Brembo Rotor Catalog - See Page 111 "
If authenticity is a question, look at where this document is hosted - brembo.com
Brembo response:
This is an Aftermarket catalog and part number reference (Aftermarket = original equipment replacement rotor, usually non-drilled/non-slotted ) The exact print of this rotor (Brembo North America part number 25447 = Brembo global part number 09.6845.10) is of a non-drilled/non-slotted rotor.

From the board:
"...Brembo DOES NOT carry cross drilled rotors for C36 AMG (at least, not listed). Brembo will produce/build as a "special order"".
Brembo response:
This is partially correct. Brembo does not currently carry cross drilled rotors for the C36 AMG. The second portion regarding the "special order" however is in error. Special order production/building is not occurring and is not the case. There are plans to produce Brembo engineered and manufactured drilled or slotted rotors for the whole of the Mercedes Benz family. When the rotors become available, they will be made available to our entire network of dealers, not just for special orders.

From the board:
"...and in fact Brembo NA has an interest in RT."
Brembo Response:
Race Technologies (RT) is an independent distributor for Brembo North America of which Brembo has no ownership interest (if ownership was what was being implied).

Again, please accept our apologies for not posting earlier and trying to clear the confusion. Even during the posting back and forth, more information was coming forth here internally as to what was available and could be made available. Hopefully you will be willing to work with us and the Brembo dealers as we continue to provide better information and perfect our program in an effort to deliver the best in service and performance engineered brake products.

Thank you for your patience and your interest in Brembo.
Sincerely,

David Salisbury
Brembo North America
High Performance Division
Phone714)641-5831 Ext. 241
Fax714)641-5827
Website www.brembo.com
I hope this ends it. Thanks Ben!

Randall
Old 01-10-2003, 11:02 PM
AWE
Almost a Member!

Originally posted by MARK CUMMINS

Hmmmmmmm The PORTERFIELDS That I Bought from Porterfield in Costa Mesa Dont have Pad sensor Holes for both sets ..Both Cars?????W210/W203 Did I Get Jipped?
Some of the older or first generation production runs for the W210 I have encountered do NOT have these holes. Perhaps you've gotten the first ones.

As for the W203, they do not have it... yet, but we've mentioned that to Porterfield.
Old 01-11-2003, 03:31 AM
Out Of Control!!

Randall,

Let me end it here. As you may have been informed by now, there are many false statements in that letter. Here is a link to the last printed catalog from August, 2002. Soon they will have another one with more part #'s that include virtually every Mercedes (sorry no front rotors for the E55 Ken ). As you can see, Mercedes Benz is clearly listed:

www.evosport.com/upload/sport_rotor.xls

Just as H&R has spacers that weren't in your catalog, Brembo has drilled/slotted rotors. Just because you may not have access to a product, does not mean it doesn't exist.

Let's leave it at this: Those who want Brembo drilled/slotted rotors can come to us, or any other dealer who buys through RT. Those who want AWE drilled/slotted Brembo blanks can go through you.
Old 01-11-2003, 03:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hm . . . I've seen Ben's car several times, and I'm pretty sure he didn't drill his rotors himself.

-Bruce
Old 01-11-2003, 06:17 AM
AWE
Almost a Member!

No problem Ben.. I will leave it as you stated...

But please correct me if I am wrong... this is the summary of what you are saying as I understood it...

1) Your Excel spreadsheet is more official than Brembo North America's publication originating from the Brembo North America's own website;

2) Only 2 rotors dominantly exist for ALL Mercedes Benz cars that are listed on your spreadsheet... the Fx00091 for the fronts, and the Rx00053 for the rears, where x = S for Slotted and D = Drilled;

3) Brembo North America's official response to clarify the confusion does NOT mean anything because it contains a lot of false statements;

4) As you also stated that By Mach430: All Brembo rotors that are not purchased from RT are not factory Brembo cross-drilled or slotted means that the Brembo Sport Rotors that can be purchased from Brembo North America's online store is NOT a genuine Brembo product, and...

5) As you also stated that By Mach430: you are going to have to purchase them from somebody who is authorized to sell them, such as myself means that you could be an authorized Brembo reseller even if you or your company is not officially listed as a reseller or distributor on Brembo North America's website.

Thanks Ben...
Old 01-11-2003, 06:22 AM

ML 320 CDI
why don't you choose the high perf braking system ( version I) from brabus. It will cost you 5250$ installed.
Old 01-11-2003, 06:26 AM
AWE
Almost a Member!

Originally posted by LowRydeR
Hm . . . I've seen Ben's car several times, and I'm pretty sure he didn't drill his rotors himself.

-Bruce
Me too.
Old 01-11-2003, 12:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally posted by AWE
No problem Ben.. I will leave it as you stated...

But please correct me if I am wrong... this is the summary of what you are saying as I understood it...

1) Your Excel spreadsheet is more official than Brembo North America's publication originating from the Brembo North America's own website;

Randall that spreadsheet was sent to me by Race Technologies yesterday afternoon, after THEY reviewed this thread.

2) Only 2 rotors dominantly exist for ALL Mercedes Benz cars that are listed on your spreadsheet... the Fx00091 for the fronts, and the Rx00053 for the rears, where x = S for Slotted and D = Drilled;

Quoting only part of a message makes it very easy to manipulate words to your own use. As you are acknowledging here, Brembo DOES INDEED make drilled and slotted rotors for the Mercedes Benz. You failed to read my post where it said there are many more that will be included in the next catalog. If it's not in print, does that mean it doesn't exist? We have sold Brembo cross-drilled rotors for the CLK, E, SL, SLK, C w203, C w202, and many more applications. Where do all these rotors come from?

3) Brembo North America's official response to clarify the confusion does NOT mean anything because it contains a lot of false statements;

Official response... So it was written from a public relations person at Brembo? It was acknowledged and verified by their board? A simple trip to the SEMA show would have introduced you to several of the RT staff IN Brembo's booth. Why would that be? Brembo is not the company to pick favorites and ignore the rest of their resellers.

4) As you also stated that By Mach430: All Brembo rotors that are not purchased from RT are not factory Brembo cross-drilled or slotted means that the Brembo Sport Rotors that can be purchased from Brembo North America's online store is NOT a genuine Brembo product, and...

5) As you also stated that By Mach430: you are going to have to purchase them from somebody who is authorized to sell them, such as myself means that you could be an authorized Brembo reseller even if you or your company is not officially listed as a reseller or distributor on Brembo North America's website.

IF IT'S NOT IN PRINT, IT MUST NOT EXIST!!! Obviously that isn't true. I'm sure by now you have asked Brembo several times whether we are an authorized dealer. If not, ask them again! We aren't listed on their website, because we haven't yet sent them a picture of our service bay (to put on their site) yet. Our relationship with Brembo/RT has grown to the point where we are often asked for our opinion when they are considering making a new big brake kit for BMW/Mercedes. We don't have the need to write that we are an authorized dealer of the products we carry. We carry products BECAUSE we are authorized.

How many phone calls do we have to get from customers who have been told that Brembo does not make rotors for their car, or H&R does not make spacers in that size, before the truth will be known?

While it doesn't affect you, since you claim that Brembo does not make Mercedes drilled/slotted rotors, other dealers have/or will soon be realizing that in the near future, all Sport Rotors will need to be purchased through RT.

-Ben
Old 01-11-2003, 01:16 PM

Is there a warrenty for Brembo Rotors?

HI,

If I buy Brembo Rotors from an authorized Brembo reseller
Is there a warrenty for the Brembo Rotors? If so, under what condition they are covered and for how long?

If I buy Crossdrilled Brembo Rotors from someone that drilled the holes themselves from Brembo blanks, is there still a warrenty covered by Brembo? As someone mentioned that the one that was drilled privately tend to crack and warp more easily.

Does it really make a difference who drilled the holes on the rotor?

thanks

Ed
Old 01-11-2003, 01:16 PM
AWE
Almost a Member!

Hey Ben, Thanks for clarifying this....

Randall that spreadsheet was sent to me by Race Technologies yesterday afternoon, after THEY reviewed this thread.
Good for you! But that still does not change the fact that you implied that the excel spreadsheet from RT is superior than that of the Brembo NA's list

Quoting only part of a message makes it very easy to manipulate words to your own use. As you are acknowledging here, Brembo DOES INDEED make drilled and slotted rotors for the Mercedes Benz. You failed to read my post where it said there are many more that will be included in the next catalog. If it's not in print, does that mean it doesn't exist? We have sold Brembo cross-drilled rotors for the CLK, E, SL, SLK, C w203, C w202, and many more applications. Where do all these rotors come from?
You assumed that I acknowledged... I just verified what your spreadsheet implies... one universal front rotor and one universal rear rotor for all the cars listed. This is not a p*ssing contest but from what I understand there are different rotors for different MB models.

Official response... So it was written from a public relations person at Brembo? It was acknowledged and verified by their board?
That response, which you did NOT respond to the last time we went through this, was from Brembo HP's Business Development division.

A simple trip to the SEMA show would have introduced you to several of the RT staff IN Brembo's booth. Why would that be? Brembo is not the company to pick favorites and ignore the rest of their resellers.
Though it was not an official show, do you remember that BREMBO was with our company using their tents at Neowerkes, Aug 11, 2002??? Why would that be???

IF IT'S NOT IN PRINT, IT MUST NOT EXIST!!! Obviously that isn't true. I'm sure by now you have asked Brembo several times whether we are an authorized dealer. If not, ask them again!
Why would I do that??? What good or benefit will asking Brembo if you are an authorized dealer do to me?

We aren't listed on their website, because we haven't yet sent them a picture of our service bay (to put on their site) yet.
I didn't know that you have a service bay. Isn't that someone else's service bay, known as SHO Shop??? But again, maybe I am wrong... better yet, maybe I can call for a meet or get-together at the address listed on your website for our 3rd Annual Summer BBQ. Don't worry, I'll sponsor the food and prizes for more than 400 cars and in excess of about 700 people, based on our 2003 projections. It will be good business exposure for you and the company you work for.

*edit:
Come to realize, it would be good idea if our customers can see that you and I collaborate and advertise as:

Autowerks 3rd Annual Summer BBQ
to be held at
evosport, inc.
1831 Overview Cir., Santa Ana CA 92705
June, 2003

Our relationship with Brembo/RT has grown to the point where we are often asked for our opinion when they are considering making a new big brake kit for BMW/Mercedes. We don't have the need to write that we are an authorized dealer of the products we carry. We carry products BECAUSE we are authorized.

How many phone calls do we have to get from customers who have been told that Brembo does not make rotors for their car, or H&R does not make spacers in that size, before the truth will be known?

While it doesn't affect you, since you claim that Brembo does not make Mercedes drilled/slotted rotors, other dealers have/or will soon be realizing that in the near future, all Sport Rotors will need to be purchased through RT.
Too bad that I might not be here in the United States anymore when all that happens.

Cool! Cool! Cool!

Last edited by AWE; 01-11-2003 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-11-2003, 01:20 PM
AWE
Almost a Member!

Re: Is there a warrenty for Brembo Rotors?

Originally posted by cabby850
HI,

If I buy Brembo Rotors from an authorized Brembo reseller
Is there a warrenty for the Brembo Rotors? If so, under what condition they are covered and for how long?

If I buy Crossdrilled Brembo Rotors from someone that drilled the holes themselves from Brembo blanks, is there still a warrenty covered by Brembo? As someone mentioned that the one that was drilled privately tend to crack and warp more easily.

Does it really make a difference who drilled the holes on the rotor?

thanks

Ed

Ben, can answer all that for you, because if I do, it is considered advertising here on this board.
Old 01-11-2003, 01:29 PM
AWE
Almost a Member!

You know, in retrospect, this is my statement that Ben reacted to...

BTW - Brembo High Performance still to this date, does NOT have an official listing for the Sport Rotors (Cross Drilled or Slotted) for Mercedes Benz.

Check the application sheet here --> Brembo Sport Rotors List
It simply means or clearly states that Brembo's HP Division's December 1, 2002 Sport Rotor catalog listing from their website does not have listed applications for Mercedes Benz.

I think I don't need to say more. :p

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brembo Cross drilled rotors with Porterfield brake pads for 97 E420