E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

E280, model year 2000, automatic transmission doesn't shift smoothly

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes E280 -00
E280, model year 2000, automatic transmission doesn't shift smoothly

Hello guys!

It's been a long time since I browsed these forums or posted anything. I've driven BMW M3 and Audi A4 the last few years, but now I'm finally back to MB. And it feels good.

Anyway, I recently bought my parents E280 -00, which they've owned since it was practically brand new. The car has 89k miles (143000km) on it and works beautifully except for one thing: The 5-speed automatic transmission tends to shift a bit 'hard' sometimes. A few observations:

- It always downshifts perfectly fine
- Shifting from 4th to 5th is always smooth
- It almost always manages to shift to a higher gear smoothly if you're either being very gentle on the gas or going all out
- However, when you're giving approximately "half throttle" and not helping the gearbox out by letting the foot up, the shift will not be smooth. It's nothing extreme, but you easily feel the shift. The problem mainly occurs if the car decides to shift between 3000 and 5000 RPM while you keep steady on the throttle.

I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to automatic transmissions, but I know you can flush them. Does this usually help in these kinds of situations? Does anyone have experience with similar problems?

This car did have a bad mass air flow sensor for a good while, which caused some pretty erratic behavior from the gearbox. I'm just hoping it hasn't taken damage due to this.

Any suggestions or insight is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Mikael; 04-08-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09' E320
Has it ever had an trans oil and filter change? Using MB fluid?

MB changed the "filled for life" service interval to "change once, at 39k miles" in 2005.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
German
trans service and reset trans should smooth things out
Old 04-11-2009, 12:39 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2014 E350 station wagon gasoline
Do the oil and filter change first.
Assuming that it has the 722.6XX transmission, it is very sensitive to oil level.
I just changed mine and the difference of 1 to 2 deciliter makes a big change in shift quality.
Make sure you don't over fill it. You will need the transmission oil measuring tool, it is a dipstick but it doesn't stay in the dipstick tube, it is only for measuring the oil level. The delear price is expensive, e-bay is much cheaper, I got mine for somewhere around $30.00.
You have to meassure the oil level at 25C cold and/or at 80C hot, the fluid expands a lot when hot. Fill it to max but not over and see if it makes a difference.

There is an excellent write up with pictures over at benzworld.org's W210 section, the one where the transmission cooling line (top) is detached from the radiator, attached to a clear plastic tube so you can see the fluid's color coming out and the used oil is pumped into a plastic container.
I just did it and it is a safe, easy, clean and fast way to get all of the old oil out, not just 3 - 5 liters what you would normally get by dropping the transmission pan only (my 2000 E320 doesn't have a drain plug on the torque converter).

Here is the link: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...my-tranny.html

Make sure when the container/bottle is full shut the engine off (I had my wife assist me with starting and stopping the engine at the right time) as the transmission pump is running as soon as the engine is started.
I did it 2 liters at the time. Two liters out two liters in. After getting out 8 liters and putting in six I droppen the tranny oil pan, drained some more oil (from the filter too), changed the filter, replaced the pan and filled her up. After a few top ups it shifts very smoothly especially after the oil is warmed up.

Good luck,

Alex
Old 09-30-2009, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 E 280
What a great idea especially if you don't want to risk shearing any bolts on the sump as they are prone to doing if they've never been off. I pumped oil out today but only got 5 litres before air came through. Watch out as I followed info and pics on the link, and just as well I ran engine for a couple of seconds, as the oil flowed from the open adaptor on the rad. So I connected my tube to the top oil pipe nipple and got the oil from there and soaking up what came out of the bottom rad connector. No probs letting engine run till all oil is out and then refill.
I changed oil because of the following : on the over-run at slow speed the trans makes a whooshing sound which disappears when I apply power !? Any thoughts on that one ? I am going to attempt the filter via the dreaded sump pan and another flush too. Merc dealer said noise is odd but can't be too serious if box is OK which it is . It's the smoothest I've ever had! Maybe it's the prop shaft centre support bearing; anyone had this before. Cheers all,
TED.
PS : just noticed pic is correct showing top hose disconnected. My air mass sensor was suspect so I changed it. No change in box apart from it holds in gear longer like a sport seeting when you push on a bit. It fixed my erratic idle and misfire. I can't see this affecting the box as they must be pretty tough after all it's a Merc !! I didn't notice change in box operation worth worrying about after changing the level by half a litre before going for the oil change. What is the capacity anyway ?

Last edited by TEDBEY; 09-30-2009 at 06:28 PM.