E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

The Analog Phone

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E500 4matic Wagon
The Analog Phone

So, after much research, it seems like the analog phone in my 1998 E320 4matic is unusable. I have some issues with the controls situated in the dash. My dealer told me that I should just leave it for the bone-stock effect I like so much. Indeed, if you close the "hatch", you cannot even tell the phone is there. But, as I have sadly figured out with my lip balm wedged in there, the little space to the right of the phone is a bit of a storage black hole, and I would really rather have the entire compartment.

Has anyone had the phone removed? If yes, when the phone is removed, is the storage compartment still usable?

And, does anyone have any clever ideas on how to get my blistex out of there? I'm thinking it could get messy in the summer. I have tried pliers, tweezers, tape, etc., but nothing seems to be able to dislodge the darned thing out of there!!
Old 02-07-2003, 05:35 PM

2003 s500 sport
Did you try vacum?

So what did you find out about the phone? Are there no analog plans in NY/NJ? I have the same phone in my 98 e430. Aren't there any analog plans from verizon? They should think ahead with those phone setups having the technolog y advance so fast. The system should be flexible, but hey that is only my wishful thinking.
Old 02-08-2003, 04:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the phone unusable because of phone faults or because you can't get it activated?
Old 02-10-2003, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
I thought this was researched by someone else a few months ago, and that Verizon did have one analog plan left, thought the rates are ridiculous circa 1990 levels.
Old 02-10-2003, 12:40 PM

I think the issue here isn't that the phone can't be activated but more that the phone is inoperable due to problems with it that can't be rectified or aren't worth fixing.
Old 02-10-2003, 08:19 PM

2006 E500 4matic Wagon
Vacuum is great idea to get the lip balm out. I will try it tomorrow...

The issue with the phone plan is this: yes, Verizon has stone-age analog plans available in NY/NJ. I had it in my 1995 Land Rover, but then the analog unit blew out and I cancelled the plan.

I went to the Verizon store in Bridgewater, NJ, where they told me that they couldn't do anything with the phone in the MB because it is an AT&T package (if you dial the silly thing, with the previous owner's presets, you get "Welcome to AT&T Wireles...). I then called AT&T, to figure out what store would know anything about this (since the guy at the AT&T wireless store in Manhattan on Broadway and 78th seemed shocked that there was actually a phone module in the car...), but apparently you have to already be an AT&T customer to link the phone to your account, and alas, I use Verizon.

Somewhere on this forum I read something about Cingular, so they'll be my next stop.

I'm going in for service to Prestige MB in Paramus next week, so I hope to find out some more info. regarding the phone then. My feeling is that I just want the silly thing out of there, since even if I get a plan, I am sure that in 5 years or less, it will be antiquated, or the hardware will fail, etc., etc. I will definitely keep the phone handset with MB logo insignia, as a kind of relic!

I'll post when I get more info. from the dealership.
Old 02-11-2003, 09:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
Yea, let us know. And if you ARE with AT&T, how does the piggyback thing work?

I tried that w/ my T-mobile account and they gave me a blank stare.

You know, somebody at MB should be flogged for selling a $1000++ phone that becomes worthless after 2 or 3 years. I still have a Sprint PCS handset I bought in 1998 that works fine, and it cost me $30.
Old 02-11-2003, 02:08 PM
Almost a Member!

1997 E420 Sport
Vacuum alternative

If the vacuum trick doesn't work (I had a similar situation and the vacuum didn't work for me) try this. Take a drinking straw, put a dab of super glue on the end, stick it to the object and let it dry. It should hold hard enough for you to pull the lodged object out.
Old 02-11-2003, 08:35 PM

Originally posted by BenzE

I went to the Verizon store in Bridgewater, NJ, where they told me that they couldn't do anything with the phone in the MB because it is an AT&T package (if you dial the silly thing, with the previous owner's presets, you get "Welcome to AT&T Wireles.}.
Ok so the phone DOES work... the Verizon guy is an idiot. Carrier specific phones didn't debut until around mid-1999 as digital usage became more widespread. If the unit is analog only, it'll work on either cellular carrier. The only reason it says Welcome to AT&T Wireless is because the previous owner had it activated with AT&T. If it's the phone I think it is (Motorola based) it's child's play to program, you can even do it yourself. Can you post a picture of the handset? If you can I think I can dig up programming instructions. Again, if it's what I think it is you can change the carrier the phone is 'looking at' by pressing the RCL key, then repeatedly pressing the * key until you see SCaN b . Press STO and then try dialing 611. The ROAM indicator also should start blinking.

As for ditching the phone, if you can get it working, IMO keep it as long as you can. The nice thing about analog is that it works virtually anywhere and everywhere, and due to the higher power output (3 watts vs. .6 watts) it'll work in places a handheld won't. Supposedly Verizon is going to phase out analog in five years, but due to the increasing use of telematics devices in cars that rely on the analog network they may extend that.

Last edited by kaneman; 02-11-2003 at 08:43 PM.