E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Window goes down by itself!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 07:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
97' E320
Window goes down by itself!!!!

Today while driving my Drivers side window went down by itself!

I pushed the button to get it to go up and that worked fine..... however a while later the window went back down all by itself again, this time I stoped it by pushing the button to make it go up, it worked , it stoped it from going down and it went up about 3 inches and then just stopped!

Now the window is half open and I am stuck...it wont go up or down, not sure whether it's the switch motor or regulator. All other windows work just fine and the Fuses are ok as well.

I do not think it is the regulator since the glass will not budge up or down it has about 1 inch of up and down play but it does not feel like it's about to come off the track.

Where do you think I should start? I'm Stumped!!!!
Old 07-04-2009, 07:21 PM

97' E320
I pulled off the wood trim and the switches, they are held together all in one frame surrounding the shifter assembly...and they are not separate pieces.

There was some dust on the electronics board and I vacuumed it off.
It was totaly dry no water or moisture whatsoever.( I never drink or eat in the car anyhow)
The switches all feel the same, to find the culprit I took the door panel off and checked for Voltage at the power window motor plug.... When I hit the switch I got Nothing !...I am not sure how much Voltage is supplied to this motor but I will try another voltmeter......

Everything else seems fine with the mechanism all parts are intact and there was nothing loose laying around!

To get the window up I plugged a battery to the window motor and it barely moved up, it moved a bit better on its way down to get it back up I had to pull the window up while I had the battery connected to the motor to close the window .

The one thing I have figured out is that the motor is shot for good!

I am worried about not getting any voltage at the connector.

Any suggestions on where I can get the motor and what to use to lube the tracks?

Or why i am not getting any voltage at the plug?
Old 07-05-2009, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E320 Avant turbo diesel
if only 1 switch / window is affected it must be the wireing to the motor or the voltage does not make it into or out of the switch
Old 06-21-2011, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 e300 Diesel
Originally Posted by onyxblue97
Today while driving my Drivers side window went down by itself!

I pushed the button to get it to go up and that worked fine..... however a while later the window went back down all by itself again, this time I stoped it by pushing the button to make it go up, it worked , it stoped it from going down and it went up about 3 inches and then just stopped!

Now the window is half open and I am stuck...it wont go up or down, not sure whether it's the switch motor or regulator. All other windows work just fine and the Fuses are ok as well.

I do not think it is the regulator since the glass will not budge up or down it has about 1 inch of up and down play but it does not feel like it's about to come off the track.

Where do you think I should start? I'm Stumped!!!!
Hello there, my car is having the exactly same problem as yours. Have you ever get this fix? If so, what was the problem. Although, mine is working properly again without me doing anything. But since it happens once, it ought to do it again in the future.

Thank you for any feed back.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:14 PM

97' E320
UPDATE

This is an old thread but For everyone's benefit i thought I'd update it....
It turned out to be the window switch module.... which holds all the switches for the windows and the rearview mirror adjustment knob in the center console.

It was about 480$ at the dealer ..I took a risk on ebay for 60$ worked fine has been in the car for a few months so far all is ok.