E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Car dying.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 E420 90 300E
Car dying.

Ok I have a 1997 E420. I have had a couple issues with the car dying the last couple months. The first time it died I was in the parking lot at my work. I pulled in and was slowing down so I could back into the parking spot and the car died. And the cel "charge battery" came up. Ok, so I put it in park she started right up and has drivin fine for the last month and a half or so. Then today I was pulling off the highway and I had to slow way down to around 5 mph to make this turn and it died again. And I got the same cel. And once again started right back up and drove off just fine like nothing happened.
Has anyone ever had this issue? Only two things that I have noticed, I was driving very slow both times slowing down, and I also had my radio pretty loud both times. Now I doubt that me blasting my stock radio has anything to do with it. I wonder if my rpms are dropping too low and the car is dying? I dont know. I would like to figure out what this is before it develops into a bigger problem.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:47 PM

'97 Mercedes-Benz E420
You may want to read your codes. I had a similar problem with my 97 E420 (also Black Opal) with 128k, bought a $40 OBD II scanner from Harbour Freight Tools, which showed a P0100 code. You can also get your codes read at Autozone, or the dealer.

My car's idle would go so low the motor would stumble at low speed, and die, especially at stop signs. Car ran fine otherwise. I replaced the Air Mass sensor and now it runs like new. Part ran about $275 or so from Autohauz AZ. Took a couple of hours to replace, due to its placement. Hope this helps....
Old 07-29-2009, 02:07 AM

97 E420 90 300E
I looked at getting a new one a few years ago and never did. As far as I know I'm still on the original MAF with 208k miles. Maybe it is time to switch it.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
By "charge battery CEL" do you mean the little engine with an X through it light that comes on when the ignition is on but the engine isn't running, or did it give an actual error saying to charge the battery? This makes it sound like you have an electrical/ignition problem (alternator, battery, etc.) Bear in mind that a loud radio is using more power, so if you have an electrical issue, that could be related. You might want to get the battery tested (dealer, Autozone, call Mercedes roadside assistance).

A bad Crank Sensor (CPS) can cause stalls. That would be a good place to investigate.

Bad engine mounts can throw off the CPS and cause stalls. Does the car idle or drive rough? Does the engine vibrate a lot?
Old 07-31-2009, 10:57 AM

2000 E320, 2007 Land Rover LR3 HSE, 2008 E350
Originally Posted by saintz
By "charge battery CEL" do you mean the little engine with an X through it light that comes on when the ignition is on but the engine isn't running, or did it give an actual error saying to charge the battery? This makes it sound like you have an electrical/ignition problem (alternator, battery, etc.) Bear in mind that a loud radio is using more power, so if you have an electrical issue, that could be related. You might want to get the battery tested (dealer, Autozone, call Mercedes roadside assistance).

A bad Crank Sensor (CPS) can cause stalls. That would be a good place to investigate.

Bad engine mounts can throw off the CPS and cause stalls. Does the car idle or drive rough? Does the engine vibrate a lot?

+1

Luckily, my vehicle was still under my extended warranty which replaced the crank sensor at no cost.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:54 AM

97 E420 90 300E
Thanks for the repy guys, I havent had any more problems with it since my first post. I know I will, so I am going to dig into it and see what I find.