E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Suggestions for snow driving...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E300
Suggestions for snow driving...

Another storm here in the NorthEast. My E is absolutely horrible in the snow. It takes a whiff of fresh powder and already cringes :-(

I have the Michelin tires that came with the car originally and are like new. I saw a CLK on the side of the road too... couldn't go anywhere.... This car is perfect in everyway except when it sees snow... And I dun even know if the traction control helps... Doesn't seem like it
Old 03-06-2003, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E500 4matic Wagon
Next year, invest in some Blizzaks for improved traction. The MXV4s are in theory mud and snow tires, but they suck, even on my 4matic. The Blizzaks plus the 4matic have done me well this winter, but last Sunday in the rain, I skidded in my driveway and high-centered my car in a snowbank. I had to dig it out, which sucked.

My advice: don't drive in this weather. Today is the worst because it is slushy and slippery. And, since I got smacked when I was driving a brand new ML 350 loaner while my E was safely in the shop, I've been playing it really safe.

I'm not sure about the rear-wheel-drive E-class, but actually I have found that shutting off ESP allows you to rock the car a bit and actually provides some better traction, if you get yourself stuck trying to get up a hill.
Old 03-07-2003, 12:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 Subaru Legacy GT Limited
Originally posted by BenzE

I'm not sure about the rear-wheel-drive E-class, but actually I have found that shutting off ESP allows you to rock the car a bit and actually provides some better traction, if you get yourself stuck trying to get up a hill.
Yeah, it definitely helps. I guess get Blizzaks (or whatever you like), but get the version that's really designed for severe snow conditions, not the H-rated snow tire. That should help somewhat...
Old 03-07-2003, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 E320 4Matic
Mudflaps

All I offer is if you drive one corner up on a frozen snow/mud berm, careful backing up when you leave. The procedure removed my right front mudflap. Took some searching, but thankfully found both clips, so it'll go back on.