E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

(Common?) Problems with 02' E430

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 02:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(Common?) Problems with 02' E430

Hi,

I recently had some problems with my car, and I'm wondering if any of these are known problems with my particular model, or any other models. I have an 02' E430 4Matic purchased new, and the problems occurred at 10,208 miles.

There was a fairly loud noise from the rear of the car, which ultimately resulted in the car going into limp mode. The next day the car appeared to run okay, but the check engine light was still on. Although I was home, I contacted Roadside Assistance and had them tow it to my dealer. The dealer ended up performing the following services:

1) Replace both primary and secondary fuel pumps
2) Replace accelerator/throttle actuating cable
3) Replace lifters for cylinders 1 and 4

Although I was generally disappointed the repairs needed to be done in the first place, the issue with the lifters still has me a little concerned. I'm a little more accepting of a component like a fuel pump going out, but I'm hoping the problem with the lifters isn't indicative of perhaps another internal part on the brink of failure. Aren't lifters normally adjusted if they can be, instead of being replaced? I've always been impressed with the dealer, so the fact the technician heard a ticking noise in the engine (I didn't notice a thing) and traced it to the valve train impressed me. They also checked both camshafts and determined they were okay.

I don't know what I'll do if I find out these are common problems, other than I guess know someone out there had the same thing happen to them...

Thanks!
Old 03-13-2003, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
The problems haven't happened for me yet, although I have 10,500 miles and just have done 1st A service. Thank you for notifying what I should expect soon.
Old 03-18-2003, 08:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
The fuel pump is a fairly common problem. The lifter

problem is not common at all. This is the first time I've heard of it - just your luck, I guess. My MY02 430 has been running very well. Just had first B service in January and the car's been great. Biggets problem I've had - the window lock/unlock function (including trunk) went completely bunkers in Jnauary. They would lock/unlock whenever they felt like doing so. All lock cylynders/hydraulic lifting devices in the doors were replaced, synchronized and I'm fine.
Old 03-27-2003, 12:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From the lack of replies I take it as a good sign that not too many people are having problems (that's great!!) Fortunately at my recent "A" service the only thing they found was a faulty ignition coil on cylinder #5, diagnosed after I thought the idle seemed kind of rough. Other than that it runs great!!

Enjoy!