E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Radio died when motor mounts changed!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E430
Radio died when motor mounts changed!

I was replacing the motor mounts in my 1999 E430 when sparks flew. I was unbolting the top of the passenger side motor mount when my wrench touched something forward and I saw sparks. I disconnected the battery and finished the job. When the battery was reconnected I reset the windows & headrests. Everything works fine except the radio is dead. Will not turn on, display is blank. I checked fuses 5 & 11 which are fine. It is the original Mercedes Benz factory radio with a CD changer in the trunk. Are there any other fuses to check? I have ordered the keys to pull the radio and check for 12VDC at the back. Is the 12V input clearly marked?

Thanks!

George
Old 01-17-2010, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
The radio has a fuse in the back panel. Be sure to check all fuses with a DVM or continuity tester as visual inspection isn't always accurate.

There is a dual DIN connector on the back of the radio. There are two 12v signals -- one for switched power and one for continuous (memory settings).
Pinouts are available at the Becker NA site.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E430
Richard,

Thanks for the quick reply with useful information.

I had only eyeballed the fuses holding them up to the light.
I just pulled the fuses again and checked with a DMM. Both fuses OK.

Now the radio is working! “CODE” came up, I put in the code and life is good again!

I guess the memory needed another power cycle? Last time, I pulled the fuse under the rear seat reinserted it and then did the same with the fuse under the hood. This time I did the same in the reverse order. Maybe the order of pulling the fuses mattered?

Glad I do not need a new radio!

George