E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Warning "Take Key" Message comes on when I remove key

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 & 97 E320
Warning "Take Key" Message comes on when I remove key

I noticed in my car that every time I remove the key (valet key, that is all what came with the car) that the "Take Key" warning message comes up and keeps beeping. I don't know for how long it does it but it happens every time I remove the key. Is this something common in these cars and there is a fix for it or will I have to take it to a mechanic to have a look at it?
Old 01-19-2010, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
You should read the post by amgalex above.

For the most part, keys are the province of the dealer for good reason. Even if a third party had some sort of key encoder I would not trust them. If they can encode an MB key, maybe they can make a duplicate. Your car could disappear down the road.

Everyone should have two keys to something like a car. Think ahead. If you lose the only key, it will be at the worst possible time (according to Murphy's Law).

The 'Take Key' message usually goes off when you close the door.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:00 PM

94 & 97 E320
Which post by amgalex? The car came with 2 keys, but both are valet keys and I am planning on getting one key that comes with the remote.

Do you mean that the 'Take Key' message is something normal when you said it goes off when you close the door?
Old 01-19-2010, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
This one:

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...t-do-i-do.html

This statement led me to believe you only had one key.
"(valet key, that is all what came with the car)" Sorry for the misunderstanding.

In my owners manual there is no reference to 'valet' key. Only that when leaving the car with someone to remove the metal key and leave the remote. That way a locked glove box can't be opened. There is a emergency key which has a metal key to open the car and a 'body' with no remote feature which will start the car. It is best kept in your wallet or purse.

To clarify, the 'Take Key' warning should come on when you open the door while the key is still in the ignition but the engine is not running. If it comes on after you remove the key, then I think you might have a problem in the DAS (Drive Authorization System).

Good luck.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:11 PM

94 & 97 E320
How do I know for sure what is wrong? My battery has drained because of this and now I can't drive the car. How can I diagnose to see what the exact problem is?