E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

e 240 audio is very poor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e240 6cylinder
e 240 audio is very poor

i would be greatful if you could help me please.

my car audio [radio] sound is poor and crackly..mentioned it to mechanic while doing regular sevice..h told me he does not know why ths sound is so poor.

could yoy pl tell me .how i can improve ths sound quality of my radio

car radio is original and came with the car when i bought it new..was working well till 6/12 ago
Old 03-13-2010, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
Hi and Welcome to the forum -

First, did you know there is a Audio/Electronics subforum on this site. Not trying to discourage you from posting here -- just an FYI.

Bad reception/crackly sound can be caused by a number of things.

1) Bad ground somewhere in the antenna feedline. The shield (outer metal mesh or foil) must make contact at each junction. This usually shows up as poor reception/bad quality on AM but things are better on FM.

2) Most (all?) of the W210s have an inline amplifier to boost the signal. On sedans its on the C pillar right side on wagons its on the C pillar left side. The connections can become loose. Take apart, spray contact surfaces with electrical contact cleaner and reconnect.

3) The output transistors in your radio can fail causing poor sound quality. You can eliminate radio issues by temporarily attaching a known good radio. If it's the radio and you have Becker, there is an exchange program (at least here in the US). Most auto radio shops who specialize in German cars can help with this test.

4) your speaker cones can dry out and rot causing vibration and poor sound quality. If you have balance controls you can try to isolate a bad speaker as they usually don't all fail at the same time.

Also if you had the windows tinted that can cause a problem because many tinting foils have metal in them and disrupt the cars built in antenna.

Good luck.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wdbjf55fxtj020203
Hello to you all
I am trying to convert my radio from OME to aftermarket and seem like having a problem with the
AMPLIFIER

Can someone help me here finding that amplifier ??? My Benz is 1996 E320 sedan
Thank you again for all your help.
TMOUNIB
Old 05-18-2015, 08:08 AM

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
W215 CL500 2005
Originally Posted by tmounib
Hello to you all
I am trying to convert my radio from OME to aftermarket and seem like having a problem with the
AMPLIFIER

Can someone help me here finding that amplifier ??? My Benz is 1996 E320 sedan
Thank you again for all your help.
TMOUNIB
Unless your car says Bose...you don't have an amplifier.