E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

need a windshield replaced

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96 e320, 91 Eagle Talon, 98 SVT Cobra, 74 MGB-GT, 74 TR6
need a windshield replaced

Can anybody recomend a good place in the baltimore maryland area that can do a good job replacing a windshield on a w210? Any expierence using aftermarket vs factory windshields?
Old 03-31-2010, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 S210 3.8L Brabus wagon
Yes. Go to the dealer and have it one right the first time. I have gone to Safelite Auto via the insurance recommendation and they did not have the correct butyl rubber cord. Instead they used butyl from a squeeze gun and made a horrible mess as well as sealing the center wiper gasket under the winsheild. the wiper arm needs to come off to do the job right and safelite says they can do it without removing the arm. Mine leaked air and whistled at speed after they were done.
The dealer will do it right and with the proper glass and decals if that is of concern. I will not take an MB to an aftermarket again. same story holds for any MB with center mount wiper like in the W124 series. I had the same experience on my W124.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:16 AM

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts
2000 E430 Sport
Originally Posted by ejsheltra
Yes. Go to the dealer and have it one right the first time. I have gone to Safelite Auto via the insurance recommendation and they did not have the correct butyl rubber cord. Instead they used butyl from a squeeze gun and made a horrible mess as well as sealing the center wiper gasket under the winsheild. the wiper arm needs to come off to do the job right and safelite says they can do it without removing the arm. Mine leaked air and whistled at speed after they were done.
The dealer will do it right and with the proper glass and decals if that is of concern. I will not take an MB to an aftermarket again. same story holds for any MB with center mount wiper like in the W124 series. I had the same experience on my W124.
I was JUST at Safelite. Terrible experience! Quoted multiple prices and when confronted they "adjusted" their "best price" to match the estimate I got, in person, two weeks prior. Was told the glass came from Germany and was their "premium" glass. Demanded to see the glass and clear as day the label said "Hecho en Columbia". Poor attitudes, long wait times...I walked away and still need my windshield replaced : (

I was actually about to go back until I read this - not I gotta see how much the stealership is going to charge & weigh my options

BTW - Safelite stated the PPG glass I wanted would be around $330 complete including everything.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:43 AM

1982 320i,1998 M3,1999 E300(RIP),2001 E55, 2005 Pathfinder LE
Originally Posted by deadernie
Can anybody recomend a good place in the baltimore maryland area that can do a good job replacing a windshield on a w210? Any expierence using aftermarket vs factory windshields?
I've never used the MB Dealer just due to the cost: $900 quoted to me for a replacement windshield 4 years ago as "we don't do repairs on stone chips." Got it repaired for $25 at a local windshield shop.

Had good and bad experiences with "aftermarket". Best thing is to ask around. Went through 2 windshields on my wife's Pathfinder in as many months. Asked the guy at the Dealer Parts Desk who they used, got their number, and they came and replaced them in my driveway. No issues.

Conversely on her old Blazer, another guy couldn't find an airleak until I pointed it out and THEN used almost a FULL TUBE of sealant to "fix" it.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:41 PM

2001 E430, Obsidian Black w. Ash/Orion Grey, 195,000 mi.
I think it's unlikely that the dealership will do windshield replacement, just like they usually don't have their own body and paint shop either. At least the dealer in my area doesn't do it. I asked them for a recommendation and they gave me the name of an independent glass shop that came out and replaced the windshield on my E430 in parking lot where I work. The guy that came out was the owner of the shop and was extremely neat and professional and did an excellent job. No leaks or wind noise.

My only issue is that my insurance would not pay for OEM glass so, if I wanted that, I would have had to pay several hundred dollars extra out of my own pocket on top of the $100 deductible. I opted for the PPG glass instead which is fine except for a little distortion at the very bottom edge of the glass. It's not a big deal but I don't remember the original glass having that. I did buy the little rectangular sticker for the lower right corner for $5 at the dealer to keep the original look.

Fred
Old 04-03-2010, 05:14 PM

1997 Mercedes Benz E420 115k
winshield

if interested and if I could find instructions I would sell the factory winshield from my parts car 1997 E420 if you want. let me know.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:36 PM

e420
A few years ago on an insurance claim, I had my windshield replaced at Fletcher Jones the largest dealer in the country. I wrongly assumed that it was replaced with OEM glass. Later found out it was PPG. The replacement glass seems more prone to chips and fine hazing from normal driving conditions than the original.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:38 PM

96 e320, 91 Eagle Talon, 98 SVT Cobra, 74 MGB-GT, 74 TR6
Originally Posted by tjakacki
if interested and if I could find instructions I would sell the factory winshield from my parts car 1997 E420 if you want. let me know.
That's a possibility. I'd definately prefer an oem windshield and the local used benz parts dealers haven't had any windshields. Let me know if you find the instructions. And of course how much you'd want for the windshield.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:21 PM

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts
2000 E430 Sport
Originally Posted by oldmbz
A few years ago on an insurance claim, I had my windshield replaced at Fletcher Jones the largest dealer in the country. I wrongly assumed that it was replaced with OEM glass. Later found out it was PPG. The replacement glass seems more prone to chips and fine hazing from normal driving conditions than the original.
I thought PPG was OEM. Mine has the original factory installed windshield with the Mercedes logo above the PPG logo on the lower drivers side corner. Its pitted like crazy too!
Old 04-07-2010, 07:21 PM

Big and Heavy 03 CL
glass

I just went through this with my CL. Safelite wouldn't touch the car saying it was too difficult to get the glass from Mercedes as they are the only provider of a front windshield for a CL. Pilkington makes the glass and Mercedes is the only place to get it, however, they will sell it to any shop to install. I went to Funktion Auto in Sterling. They got the glass from Mercedes for 1100 and the installer charged 250 for labor. It cost me 1500 total. I have a 500 deductible so thats what i'm out of pocket. Safelite called me back a few days after turning down the work to tell me they could do it for 1900-2300? I really hated to spend the money for the glass but it was really bad...glad i did it.
Jay
Old 04-10-2010, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 S210 3.8L Brabus wagon
Here the dealer wins if the jobs needs to be done right. Safelite and the smaller shops are just not that good. It is the center wiper that screws them up. It has to come off to get the seal in place correctly. If someone is knowledgeable and takes their time then it can work with an indy. PPG is the provider for oem replacements in the US. Not sure about Canada. My replacement at the dealer and not subbed out in Atlanta was with a PPG glass and butyl cord. I stayed and watched the whole procedure. The wiper was removed and the seal replaced. It was around 900 bucks at the time.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:44 PM

1997 s320, 1997 e320
i have gone through safelite a while ago without any problems. they installed a ppg glass, same quality as oem one. i asked few shops in town and prices ranged from $180-500. i went with safelite, i think glass was around $200 and safelite doesn't charge for installation if you buy their glass. guy installed the glass in less than 1 hour, then i had to wait extra 45min for adhesive to dry and they said don't wash the car for a couple days. beats $1500 at the dealer.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E300
I just had Safelite replace the windshield on my E300 this past week. TERRIFIC experience. The tech was very knowledgeable, removed the wiper arm and and cowling to have clear access to the windshield. Even showed my how the previous installed was shi**y as they tried to wedge the windshield under the wiper arm and cowling. The "aftermarket" glass they installed was IDENTICAL to the OEM that was removed, except is was lacking the MB logo silk screened into the bottom right corner of the glass.

Even showed me how to remove and reinstall the trim around the windshield and roof.
Old 09-14-2021, 05:26 PM

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
07' E63
Originally Posted by michakaveli
I just had Safelite replace the windshield on my E300 this past week. TERRIFIC experience. The tech was very knowledgeable, removed the wiper arm and and cowling to have clear access to the windshield. Even showed my how the previous installed was shi**y as they tried to wedge the windshield under the wiper arm and cowling. The "aftermarket" glass they installed was IDENTICAL to the OEM that was removed, except is was lacking the MB logo silk screened into the bottom right corner of the glass.

Even showed me how to remove and reinstall the trim around the windshield and roof.
Well, how did they remove the Decor Strips around the windshield? I am ready to do this replacement myself with OEM Glass, Sealant and those 8 little sticker spacers. I’ve got a Ridged 3-1 tool to cut/vibrate the windshield glue from the inside (I’m guessing here!), as well as a Harbor Freight “Wire” Tool and Suction Cups. I’m just really nervous about removing those decor strips as the WIS only shows a picture of a wedge <| along with lines pointing to 5 spots on the panoramic roof top and 3 one the “A” Arms, presumably to use a dead hammer to, as compared to say a Lever? Well, it leaves a lot to be desired for sure! The Mercedes Mechanic just told me to “yank” on it, but I couldn’t get it to budge with “my hands”? Any hints along these lines would be appreciated!