E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Engine Oil Leak... HELP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96/97 E420
Engine Oil Leak... HELP

So I was poking around the engine bay in my 97' E420. Found oil around the valve covers on the passenger side, mostly down the front. The timing chain on that side has been making a funny noise (rhythmically at idle, its not a grinding noise, but sounds like the chain has some slack and is rubbing on something) for some time, the dealership mechanics said it might be the timing chain or some of the timing components on that side but not to worry as the car is 13 years old and that I can drive on it (they listened to the timing chain and assembly with a stethoscope). I just noticed the leak today. Its been one thing after another with this car. Also noticed today that the car has some idling problems (stalling perhaps for less than a second, more of a hick-up than anything else). Can anyone help with some useful info or tips? Is this a common problem? Any help is much appreciated,

M119.985 btw

Thanks in advance,

Tom
Old 03-31-2010, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
Sometimes it can be frustrating to sort out the little problems. A while back I had a small oil leak where the breather cover is attached to the valve cover on the left side. No sooner did I get it sealed and cleaned up and a leak developed at the oil inspection port gasket. I guess the message is that a 13-14 yr old car (even one made by MB) can develop a leak almost anytime.

The standard approach for finding leaks is to clean the area really well and then observe regularly for the appearance of oil. If you recently changed the oil you'll need to touch the surfaces since a thin film of clean oil can be almost impossible to see.

Many cars have leaks around the valve cover area. Heat, vibration and time all take a toll.

As for the stumble it's complicated by the interaction of the electronics controlling the engine. You might start by getting the OBDII system scanned or buy an inexpensive scanner and do it yourself. This might help to identify or eliminate issues with the MAF sensor and the O2 sensors. You could also get a MB dealer or well equipped independent to attach the SDS to see what if any issues might show up.

Good luck.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:46 AM

96/97 E420
Update

I went to the dealership today. The mechanics said that the leak is coming from the camshaft timing adjuster magnet assembly. Getting the assemblies replaced next Wednesday. Does anyone think that replacing the adjuster magnet assemblies will make a weird timing chain oscillation that I wrote about earlier go away? The chain noise isn't a grinding or rubbing noise, just an oscillation that I can hear on the side that is now leaking. We'll see, keeping my fingers crossed.

Thank you to the people who have replied,

Tom
Old 05-23-2010, 02:09 PM

96/97 E420
Update,

Sorry I forgot all about this post. It was the O-rings, I replaced both sides even though only one side was leaking. I replaced the magnets as well. Grand total of around $250 with labor at the MB dealership. No more leaks.