E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

eBay - PayPal and Duplicate Titles

Old 04-15-2010, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 VW Rabbit
eBay - PayPal and Duplicate Titles

Okay, this isn't strictly a W210 question, but I'm still looking for one and I continue to run into a couple of issues - maybe someone here can offer advice.
First
In some of the Mercedes listings on eBay the seller limits the purchase in some way. Some are "PayPal Only." While we have a good record from buying, we've never established a PayPal account due the need to expose both our credit card and checking account numbers. Why would a seller want to limit to PayPal account holders?
Likewise
Sometimes I see sales limited to "private sales (or something like that)" only. Again, is there a compelling reason to limit to a small subset of buyers?
Finally
Though not an eBay issue, there's the AutoCheck reports regarding "Duplicate Titles." Is there a reason to be wary of these? On one hand, a title's a title, but it makes me wonder if there's another title (and title holder) out there who may not agree I own his car. Is that something I should be concerned about? Thanks.

Last edited by Jaywalker; 04-15-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
Paypal is probably the best way for BOTH seller and buyer to be assured of minimizing the risk fraud. And while it is not heavily weighted in favor of the buyer there is a dispute resolution procedure if needed. One primary method of protecting your credit card and bank info is to establish a Paypal account. Each time you make an online purchase the seller gets their money but does not get to see your CC info. This would seem less risky than giving your CC info to a bunch of small operators. Personally, when making any online purchase I look for the Paypal symbol as I would rather use it. Of course, if anyone ever hacks Paypal it will be bad. However, since they have the most to lose, I expect they take security very seriously.

I think the 'private sales' refers to not displaying the screen names of bidders. Recently eBay started coding the screen names anyway. One reason for this was other sellers were 'stealing' buyers by contacting them and offering the same item they were bidding on at a lower price.

I believe one reason for duplicate titles is the issuing of a salvage title. There may be other circumstances but I would investigate before buying a car so listed.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:29 PM

2008 VW Rabbit
Thanks for a thoughtful response. Re the Duplicate title, do you mean that a person who owns a car with a Salvage title can apply for a duplicate title and it will not have a salvage notation? If so, I certainly didn't know that applied to cars, though I have heard that it did for motorcycles.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
My understanding of Salvage titles (and it may not be accurate) is that when a car is totaled, the current owner (a salvage yard) can apply for a Salvage title. Thus there are two titles -- the original and the salvage. As far as terms and conditions I await the experts.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:50 PM

2008 VW Rabbit
Well, FWIW, I finally came up with some key words that uncovered some of the title issues I was questioning: "car problem 'duplicate title.'"

From: http://www.sell-cars-for-profit.com/...ing-guide.html

If a car has a salvage title, it will be branded "Salvaged" inside the rectangle on upper right hand corner of the title. Without the original title you have know way of knowing this. One time I bought a Honda Accord from somebody for resale who didn't have the title. They gave me a duplicate, and I later found out the car had a salvage title. That cut the value of the vehicle in half. The (commercial subscription) vehicle history report will tell you if the car has a salvage title or not. Branded titles, are titles which have indicated problems in the vehicles past. There are other brands to look for besides salvage such as:

Original Taxi or Prior Taxi: Vehicles formerly used "For Hire" which usually have high mileage.

Original Police or Prior Police: Vehicles formerly used by law enforcement and which usually have high mileage.

Non-USA-Vehicles manufactured for use and sale outside the United States which have been converted to meet Federal and California safety and emissions standards.

Warranty Return or Lemon Law Buyback-Vehicles which have been returned to the manufacturer under California's Lemon Law.

Remanufactured-Vehicles constructed by a licensed remanufacturer and consisting of used or reconditioned parts. These vehicles may be sold under a distinctive trade name.

Many unscrupulous sellers take salvaged cars from out of state, and reregister them in other states hiding the salvage title brand. Salvage title brands do not transfer over when they're reregistered in some states making the title clean. (Jaywalker emphasis.) Many of these vehicles have flood damage, and come from places like Louisiana. Scammers are making a lot of money concealing these salvage titles. They buy them for half their value, and double their money when they sell them. If you go to (commercial subscription history report) you can see if the vehicle came from out of state, and if it was issued a salvaged title.
<table align="center" border="0" cellpadding="10" cellspacing="0" width="500"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>It doesn't answer everything, but I think I'll leave all title problems to other buyers to resolve... Some may just be people losing the title, but there are enough clean titles around that I can just avoid the ones that aren't. Thanks.

Last edited by Jaywalker; 04-15-2010 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Deleted the name of the provider of the history report.