E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Modifications on a 96' E320 suggestions? noobie in need of help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz E320
Modifications on a 96' E320 suggestions? noobie in need of help!

Hey everyone, im picking up a E320 this week after registrations and such are done and i want to get working on it right away and would greatly appreciate anyones inputs and help on how to get this done.

I wanted to..
-change the front lights & fog lights to HID's, would all i need to do is change the bulbs?
-maybe add an intake system, not sure if this is recommended..
-get the rear lights changed
-add a new mp3 deck, or something with mp3 hook up, any suggestions?
-add a sub and an amp, suggestions?
-what size rims would go good with this?

Please help me out as im new to cars, and MB's, any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old 06-29-2010, 06:52 PM

W210 E320
congrats on your purchase, $5k for this car is pretty cheap! hopefully your friend has looked after it.

this forum is full of useful info, if you need to find something you can use the search function here or at the top of the toolbar.
ok so with the front lights, it depends what you want and how much you're willing to spend (as with most things really).
Depo brand aftermarket projector headlights give a nice appearance to the car, however the actual 'projector' that the bulb sits in is only of a very standard quality... a popular mod to greatly improve the lighting performance of the car is a 'projector retrofit', one that I'm about to attempt myself and the results seem phenomenal. more info on that can be found here
as for an intake system, some people have done it, I had a hi-flow K&N filter for a while, but my air mass sensor didn't like the fact the filter was oiled and decided to stuff up on me after a while - so i changed back to oem.
with the sound system, there's nothing really specific to the w210 so can do whatever you want to it. Just go to an audio store and check out some quality brands.
happy modding!
Old 06-29-2010, 07:03 PM

Mercedes Benz E320
Hey bmroxm5,

Thanks for all the help & links in the 2 posts that ive posted, now i've got a clearer idea on what to do, ill post some pictures up in a while after everythings been done, thanks again!
Old 06-29-2010, 07:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 clk 320
Congrats on ur first mb.all I can say is if u really plan on do n all that to ur car u better have a lot of money to spend.mods for our cars don't come cheap.not even wit ebay be n ur best friend.I notice to have money set aside for this forum cuz people tend to sell things real cheap and if u don't have the money it'll be gone faster then u can reply to the thread lol.to start off go to the search area and type in e320 to get ideas of what mods to start off wit and what not.my opinion u should start off wit a nice set of wheels and go from there.research n e ideas u have and someone will have either asked the same queston as u or had the same idea and made it happen.well good luck on ur mods.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:22 PM

Mercedes Benz E320
hey thanks jbenz2001,
yes after reading a lot of the forums, i've realized that quite a bit of money will need to be spent regardless, yes i thought about starting off with some nice wheels first and work my way towards the interior, thanks a lot for the help and tips, i will keep those in mind! =D
Old 07-10-2010, 07:42 PM

96 e320
I have the same car, one of the first things I did was using the k&n filter ,I had to replace the MAF but I learned afterward to let the filter set over night before starting the car, this way the oil is completely soaked and stays where it supposed to and not hit MAF
I also added a CD changer that can read Mp3 files, the car is wired for it, and you don't have to change the head unite or fool with wiring, the only thing you are limited to 99 tracks per CD otherwise you lose control on what plays (the player decides which track to play for example if you skip track 12 you might get track 26 or 48 or any other)<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Old 07-11-2010, 02:41 AM

Mercedes Benz E320
hmm ill probably end up doing that next, was there any difference that you noticed between the 2 filters? and yes i thought about switching it to the cd changer, but ended up buying a tape cassette aux wire, so i just hook up to ipod. It actually has really great quality, thanks for feedback pr.me!

Trending Topics

Old 07-11-2010, 08:30 AM

W210 E320
ahh so that's what you're supposed to do with the K&N air filter... I had one and put it in and unfortunately it fouled my MAF later on down the track, costing some $$$ to fix.

I reckon with this car rims really do provide the biggest improvement followed by lots of little things such as avantgarde grille, updated LED taillights, projector headlights followed by painted lowers and colour coded body mouldings.. then if you're up for it I'd recommend lowering aswell for the big visual improvement.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1992 500SEL Black and grey 2 tone w/ camel brown interior
congrats on the new purchase! i just bought my first benz as well 2 days ago. 97 e420 sport. its rough, but has potential. but yes im realizing it does get expensive. im missing an impact strip and that alone is running me 80 bucks. but i agree with jbenz. start with wheels. luckily mine came with the amg sport rims and tires. im really a big fan of the amg rims. it really gives the car a nice stance and look.
your paint looks good too. if you can find the sport bumper, that will really help out the look. the trick is finding that is NOT over 250$