E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

HELP! Garage doors programming...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'97 MB E420 Sport/'88 MR2
HELP! Garage doors programming...

I forgot how to program the 3 buttons on the visor in my car. Can someone write a little step by step instructions for me? THANKS!
Old 04-10-2003, 04:34 PM
Banned

96 E 320 and 87 560 SL
each button is programmed separately. Press and hold the button until the little red light on the visor begins to flash rapidly. continue holding down the visor button and put your garage remote up to the visor and press the button on the remote garage door opener. The visor button should now be programmed.
Old 04-10-2003, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E300
Anyone has success programming their Benz's with late model Genie garage door openers... I haven't been successful. Hoping someone knew of a way to overcome this prroblem....
Old 04-10-2003, 07:15 PM

98 E430
same here, I can't never get my garage door programmed. It seems to take it, but than when I hit the button nothing happens.

Is there a special way to program certain garage openners?
Old 04-11-2003, 12:24 AM
hgp

2001 E430 Sport
If your garage door opener is 20 years old or newer, it may have a "roaming code" security feature. If this is the case, you have to press a button on the garage door unit itself to put it in "learning mode" before the the opener in the car can be programmed. There is a pretty detailed explanation in the manual.
Old 04-11-2003, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E300
I went to MBUSA.com and looke dup my exact car and searched under the FAq, printed out the instructions on how to program, followed them properly after many attempts, and to still no avail...
Old 04-11-2003, 03:08 PM

98 E430
Finally after your hint, I was able to program my visor button to my garage door!

As it turns out, my garage door opener(the one mounted in the garage) has a smart button on it. Basically you need two people to program this type, one to hold down the visor's button, and another person pressing the smart button on the garage door opener(not the remote).

after 5 years, I finally can open my garage door without my remote control...YEAH!
Old 04-11-2003, 03:48 PM

2001 E-320
michakaveli

I am not sure about the Genie openers, but programming a roaming code opener is a two step process. First you have to program the button in the car, and then you have to program the actual garage door opener. I don’t have my manual in front of me, but I believe it only explains how to program the button in the car, which was covered in a bigtire’s previous post.

Every model is different so you need to check your garage door opener manual, on how to program new openers, but in general you have to do the following.

It takes two people and a ladder. One person has to be able to reach the garage door opener motor, and the other person has to be in the car to press the button. Essentially in the same manner the car learned the signal from the remote, the opener is now going to learn the signal from the car. When you climb up and look at the motor there should be some button or buttons, and hopefully some instructions. Basically you will just be holding down a button on the opener motor, while someone is holding down the button in the car.

If you do not have the manual, or instructions you have to be careful because you could inadvertently clear the opener of all codes, and then none of your remotes will work, and you won’t have the instructions on how to reprogram.

If you have already gone through this process, I would have to say that Genie openers cannot be programmed.
Old 04-12-2003, 03:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Originally posted by Turbo][
Finally after your hint, I was able to program my visor button to my garage door!

As it turns out, my garage door opener(the one mounted in the garage) has a smart button on it. Basically you need two people to program this type, one to hold down the visor's button, and another person pressing the smart button on the garage door opener(not the remote).

after 5 years, I finally can open my garage door without my remote control...YEAH!
I used sunroof, so I was able to program code rotation opener alone.
Old 04-12-2003, 11:51 AM

2001 E320
Programming Garage Door Opener

Here are the instructions from the 2001 E320 manual (Adobe Acrobat) for Garage Door Opener:

Programming or reprogramming the integrated remote control:

1. Turn electronic key in steering lock to position 1 or 2
2. Hold the end of the hand-held transmitter of the device you wish to train approximately 2 to 5 inches away from the surface of the integrated remote control located on the inside rear view mirror, keeping the indicator lamp in view.
3. Using both hands, simultaneously push the hand-held transmitter button and the desired integrated remote control button. Do not release the buttons until completing step 4.
4. The indicator lamp on the integrated remote control will flash, first slowly and then rapidly. When the indicator lamp flashed rapidly, both buttons may be released. (the rapidly flashing lamp indicates successful programming of the new frequency signal). To program the two remaining buttons, follow steps 1 through 4.

NOTE: If, after repeated attempts, you do not successfully program the integrated remote control device to learn the signal of the hand-held transmitter, the garage door opener could be equipped with the “rolling code feature”.

Rolling code programming:

To train a garage door opener (or other rolling code devices) with the rolling code feature, follow these instructions after completing the “Programming” portion of this text. (A second person may make the following training procedures quicker and easier.)

1. Locate training button on the garage door opener motor head unit. Exact location and color of the button may vary by garage door opener brand. If there is difficulty locating the transmitting button, reference to garage door opener operator’s manual.
2. Press “training” button on the garage door opener motor head unit (which activated the “training light”).

NOTE: Following step 2, there are 30 seconds to initiate step 3.

3. Firmly press and release the programmed integrated remote control transmit button. Press and release same button a second time to complete training process. (Some garage door openers may require you to do this procedure a third time to complete the training.)
4. Confirm the garage door operation by pressing the programmed button on the integrated remote control transmitter.

Erasing the remote control memory:

1. Turn electronic key in steering lock to position 1 or 2.
2. Simultaneously holding down the left and right side buttons for approximately 20 seconds, or until the control lamp blinks rapidly, will erase the codes of all three channels.

Hope this helps...
Old 07-01-2003, 11:36 AM
DWM
Almost a Member!

E420
Unhappy

I've been unable to program my 97 E420 on my Chamberlin Liftmaster. Called HomeLink and got someone to walk me through it. When it didn't work over the phone, she said "well, I guess that type doesn't work"

Not sure I buy what she told me... suggestions?
Old 07-01-2003, 11:53 AM

2007 E550 4matic 1997 E420
I have a 97 E420 and I was able to program it but since my garage door opener has rolling codes it didn't work. WIth rolling codes the homelink is supposed to blink for a couple of seconds to indicate that you have to push the learn button on the garage door opener.

Mine just stayed solid. I called homelink and they asked me what colour was the led. I told them red. Wrong answer! Red means it doesn't do rolling codes. I think they said it has to be amber.
My car was manufactured 5/96 so I guess it never got the rolling code version of the homelink.

My car does not have the infrared sensors on the trunk or door handles either. I have to stand 3 ft. in front of the car before the remote entry works. I also have to depress the button for 2 seconds before it works. Plus there is no audible indication that the locks were activated. I'm thinking of hooking up a spare siren from an old alarm to the locks. Heck I may as well hook up the old alarm to it, so I get better range with the remote entry.

I only got one remote with the car so if I lose it, oh boy!
Dealer wants $211 CDN. If I bought one off eBay would I be able to program it?
Old 07-01-2003, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W205 C300
Homelink has been updating their programming over the years so older ones may not work on new garage door openers. There was a changed after 1998 to accept rolling code garage door openers like Genie. My 96 would not work but my wifes 2003 did. My parents had a 98 so I tried it and it worked on my rolling code garage door. I found a visor from a 98 E320 at a salvage yard that matched my original one and swapped the drivers side visor out. Now I have it working with my security gate and my garage door.
Old 07-01-2003, 02:10 PM

2007 E550 4matic 1997 E420
I was going to do the same thing and hope I luck out and find one in a junk yard. Unfortunately I have a black with tan interior so it would be hard to find probably. Most cars seem to have black interiors. Wonder if it's possible to remove the homelink from the visor and replace it.
Old 07-01-2003, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W205 C300
You would have to cut the visor up to get it out. Just swapping the homelink module isn't likley. Just get both visors and swap them both. If they are black then they would still match.
Old 07-01-2003, 07:19 PM

E420
My 1997 E420 homelink doesn't open the Sears Craftman brand. That's what I heard from the dealer.
Old 07-02-2003, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W205 C300
Originally posted by watercourt668
My 1997 E420 homelink doesn't open the Sears Craftman brand. That's what I heard from the dealer.
You would also need a 1998 or newer Homelink visor. The 96 and 97 models don't seem to do anything. I could not get my 96 to work on my simple security gate code or an old Sears garage door opener. The 98 visor that I installed works on my gate and my Genie opener.

Last edited by E-Klasse; 07-02-2003 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-02-2003, 03:07 PM

Re: Programming Garage Door Opener

Originally posted by Richard / E320
Here are the instructions from the 2001 E320 manual (Adobe Acrobat) for Garage Door Opener:

Programming or reprogramming the integrated remote control:

1. Turn electronic key in steering lock to position 1 or 2
2. Hold the end of the hand-held transmitter of the device you wish to train approximately 2 to 5 inches away from the surface of the integrated remote control located on the inside rear view mirror, keeping the indicator lamp in view.
3. Using both hands, simultaneously push the hand-held transmitter button and the desired integrated remote control button. Do not release the buttons until completing step 4.
4. The indicator lamp on the integrated remote control will flash, first slowly and then rapidly. When the indicator lamp flashed rapidly, both buttons may be released. (the rapidly flashing lamp indicates successful programming of the new frequency signal). To program the two remaining buttons, follow steps 1 through 4.

NOTE: If, after repeated attempts, you do not successfully program the integrated remote control device to learn the signal of the hand-held transmitter, the garage door opener could be equipped with the “rolling code feature”.

Rolling code programming:

To train a garage door opener (or other rolling code devices) with the rolling code feature, follow these instructions after completing the “Programming” portion of this text. (A second person may make the following training procedures quicker and easier.)

1. Locate training button on the garage door opener motor head unit. Exact location and color of the button may vary by garage door opener brand. If there is difficulty locating the transmitting button, reference to garage door opener operator’s manual.
2. Press “training” button on the garage door opener motor head unit (which activated the “training light”).

NOTE: Following step 2, there are 30 seconds to initiate step 3.

3. Firmly press and release the programmed integrated remote control transmit button. Press and release same button a second time to complete training process. (Some garage door openers may require you to do this procedure a third time to complete the training.)
4. Confirm the garage door operation by pressing the programmed button on the integrated remote control transmitter.

Erasing the remote control memory:

1. Turn electronic key in steering lock to position 1 or 2.
2. Simultaneously holding down the left and right side buttons for approximately 20 seconds, or until the control lamp blinks rapidly, will erase the codes of all three channels.

Hope this helps...
hey thanx Richard finally got my homelink progmd after 2 years.
i have Genie intellicode and didnt have any problems. only thing was that i also had to re-programm the remote units after programming the homelink
Old 07-06-2003, 07:24 PM
Almost a Member!

1998 E320 Sedan
I was finally able to program my 98 E320 visor garage door transmitter to my Genie garage door opener. I pressed the button on the Genie electronic receiver (mounted on the garage ceiling). The Genie's receiver unit red light starts blinking and gives you only 30 seconds to progam the MB visor. Immediately after pressing the ceiling mount button, I got off the ladder and I pressed the MB visor button. After hold the MB button about 20 seconds it started blinking rapidly, indicating it had accepted the Genie's code. (Please note that I did not need to use the Genie's garage door opener remote transmitter at all to program the MB visor; only the Genie ceiling mount receiver). The MB visor was about 12 feet away from Genie receiver when I did the programming.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:38 PM

Mercedes E320
Sun Visor Garage door opener set up

There is one step left from the manufacturers auto manual that will enable the sun visor garage door opener to work. This is how its done:

1. Follow manufacturers directions to enable your auto to learn the code from your garage door opener.

2. You will need a second person to open the garage door device hanging in your garage. Look in the back side of the device and find the "learn" button. Someone must be inside the car to press the desired button on the sun visor and hold it in. While this is happening the second person must push the "learn" button on the garage opener device. Do not hold this button, push it only once. Your car garage door opener will then be set.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 164 Likes on 149 Posts
99 E320
the technique will vary depending on the model year of the E320. with my 1999 USA issue car the sequence was:
  • park car beneath garage door motor head
  • reach up to motor head and and press the program button - LED will flash and you have about 30 seconds....
  • reach into car and press the button [pick one] beneath the rear view mirror once
  • reach up to garage door motor head and press the program button once - LED will extinguish

finish

Last edited by raymond g-; 10-31-2013 at 01:01 AM.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
It is true, garage unit has 30 seconds learning timeout within which you should press a programmed button in a car, so usually one person can press learning button, then get in a car and press an opener button.
Newer Benz has even simpler programming sequence.