E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

rear upper brake light not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes W210 E55 AMG
rear upper brake light not working

Its works when it wants to, when i close the trunk lid a little harder it works a couple of times, any one knows where the cables are easiest to access?
Its not the bulb.

/Tony H
Old 08-13-2010, 09:08 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
1997 E300D
You don't mention what year w210 you have, but since you mentioned a bulb, perhaps your third brakelight is like the one on my '97. I had what sounds like the same problem. Mine turned out to be poor contact where the light base sets on the package shelf. There are two plate like contacts at about the level of the package shelf. The base has two spring contacts that are supposed to ride on the plate contacts as the base is adjusted or slid back against the rear window. The spring contacts appear to be spring steel with a copper coating. Mine developed enough heat to cause the contact plate to melt it's way down into the plastic it is mounted on giving poor contact. Remove the cover and the bulb holder. Now remove the base that holds the lens. It is apparantly fairly obvious what to do to pull it out, but I can't for the life of me remember what I did to remove the base. It's location is adjustable for and aft. Perhaps you push up a tab that disengages the catch that holds it in place. You will likely find that one of the spring contacts on the base has over heated. I cleaned up the spring contact and added a "blob" of solder to the contact so it would press harder onto the recessed contact plate. It has worked for several years now. Hope this helps.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes W210 E55 AMG
Thats much helpful!

Will try to look at it when, well a couple of days after the hangover.

Tytyty