E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Transmission tear down decision? URGENT HELP REQUEST!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Transmission tear down decision? URGENT HELP REQUEST!

I came across this thread and wanted to seeking members' advise on a pressing issue that I have.

My car: Merc E-320 2001 model with 75K miles; have taken good care till now.

First time in the morning I always start the car and wait 45-60 secs before I move to let the fluids circulate.

My Issues:

Fundamental questions:
a) Does it seem that I have a transmission problem?
b) Is it advisable to get a second opinion?
c) Is it advisable to go ahead with tearing the transmission down (without being 100% sure of the problem) and replacing any defective parts? If that is done by a reputed dealer, can I hope to get the transmission back in shape just the way the factory ones are?

Details:

In the morning when I leave my home I go about 200 yrds, and make a turn and another 500 yards and make another turn and try to go about 25-30 mph. Typically at the second turn when I press on the gas pedal I notice a slight slip in the transmission, which mostly does not happen again all through the day. I disregarded it thinking it may have been due to the engine being cold. I guess a similar slip has occurred may be just about 2 times over the past few months later during the day when the engine and fluids were already hot.

I have a comprehensive warranty on the car which is expiring in a month. I have used this warranty for 6 yrs. and they are pretty reasonable and easy to work with.

I also have a very slight oil leak (about a little bigger than a quarter size stain each day on the garage floor), very insignificant to make an impact on the engine oil level.

I took the car to one of Atlanta's leading Mercedes dealers to check on the oil leak, and also reported the transmission issue with only a VERY SLIGHT DOUBT that it was an issue.

On the engine oil leak they said the engine was leaking oil from the valves etc. and needed to fix those and the warranty covered most of it for which I agreed.

On the transmission they said there were no codes, but they said that they found some slippage in the trans., and say that even though the problem seems to have just started it will eventually surely fail. They dropped the trans. pan to see if there were any metal pieces there and did not find any. They said if that if they did find some metal pcs. they would have had no further tests and would have recommended a new trans. right away.

Now they say the the only way they can identify the problem would be by stripping the entire transmission and see what's going on, as the warranty co. wants a list of items that has failed. I spoke with their head mechanic and he said he SUSPECTS (NOT sure though) the "One way Roller Clutch" MAY have worn out and may need replacement, and potentially other parts too.

We (the dealership and myself) spoke with the warranty co. together, and they said they would NOT authorize complete replacement of the trans. with a factory reconditioned transmission, without first identifying the failed parts, and knowing the costs for their replacement.

My concerns:
a) I also spoke with another Merc mechanic and he said that the dealership should be able to convince the warranty co. for a total trans. replacement (if there was an issue) and he says it is not advisable to replace individual parts as it may result in trans. failing altogether within a few months. And, I am not comfortable disassembling my original transmission and letting these guys replace parts. I am not sure if they can set it up once again to factory stds., and also whether the old and new parts will work together cohesively.

b) This other mechanic said it's very unlikely that the trans, has really gone bad at 75K miles and most likely the problem would be with the "Electrical Plug" which may be leaking resulting in MINOR loss of trans fluid. I had myself checked the fluid level and it was fine. The dealership also said there was no leak at the plug.

c) The warranty co. is urging me to let the dealership proceed with the diagnostics to identify the problem, and they say if I refuse that and if the trans. fails later they will not cover it.

d) The dealership wants me to authorize 11.hr. of diagnostics at a cost of $1,200 (initially), and assure me that they will be able to find some defective parts inside and make the warranty co. pay the $1,200 cost

I am in a dilemna - my question is should I just ask them to service the trans. and do nothing more, or let them go ahead with the tear down of the trans. and may be replace necessary parts. I am not sure if the dealership is wanting to go ahead with the diagnostics genuinely to locate the problem, or to make max. money from the labor which can be as high as 20 hrs.@ about $110 per hr.

I need to give them a firm decision tomorrow morning.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09' E320
If the trans slips, it ought to set a code. Regardless, using SDS, the dealer ought to be able to review the transmission's adaptation values and determine what internal adjustements the trans is making to compensate and understand what is happening. Something should be maxing out......

It could be it is simply a little low on fluid, but, you said you checked the fluid level which would mean you bought the factory tool. Right?