E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

'97 E300 | Rear Tire Wear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E300
'97 E300 | Rear Tire Wear

Question for you forum experts. I checked the tire wear on my rear tires as compared to my fronts, and the rears are being eaten up at an alarming rate, much faster than my fronts.

I have replaced the OEM springs with E55 springs, added the Lensolo rear camber arms and had it aligned, (via Hunter machine @ a local shop). All specs were in line except the left front, to which the (-) camber was more on the (-) side, all other wheels were in spec (in the green on the display and print out). The tire wear is even across both rear tires...

What could it be? What suspension components have been updated on the rear that could affect this? I don't think I've read anyone having this issue on their w210. My car is low, but FAR from slammed. I needed to purchase some updated bolts to secure the Lensolo arms... so I wonder if there is anything else that may have been updated...

My initial thoughts are too much toe..
Old 12-20-2010, 09:34 PM

88 535is, 89 318iT
Originally Posted by michakaveli
The tire wear is even across both rear tires...
My initial thoughts are too much toe..
If tire wear is even, then why would you think there is too much toe? Rear tires could wear twice as fast as the fronts, normally, just like a front wheel drive car wearing out the fronts twice as fast. A problem would only be if the tire wear was severely uneven.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E300
Originally Posted by dsmith
If tire wear is even, then why would you think there is too much toe? Rear tires could wear twice as fast as the fronts, normally, just like a front wheel drive car wearing out the fronts twice as fast. A problem would only be if the tire wear was severely uneven.
I never had this issue before I lowered it, problem surfaced after I lowered it. And the engine does NOT have any power to burn the rubber off either...

On a FWD, those wheels are the drive tires AND turning.... I can understand increased wear as compared to the rears on a FWD application.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:28 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
1997 E300D
My advice would be to find an alignment shop that does not sell tires. They have better calibrated equipment and no interest in having your tires wear out. It is my opinion that the fancy machines are so poorly understood by the people that run them at tire shops, that they can be out of calibration and no one notices. My best alignments have been done with measuring sticks, bubble levels, etc. Yes, I am an old fart.

If you go back to the same place that did your alignment and ask them why the tires are wearing, they will either say "you hit a pot hole" or they will say your type car has a "weak suspension" that won't hold its alignment. Don't believe either. The rubber bushings in today's cars will stand up to all but the very worst potholes, and even cars of 20 years ago had suspensions that held their alignment until the king pins or ball joints wore out. Get it aligned properly once, and it will last, so long as you leave the suspension alone.

Last edited by nelbur; 12-21-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:32 PM

88 535is, 89 318iT
Please clarify what the tire wear pattern is that you don't like. You wrote the tire wear was even, but I think you might mean the tire wear is the same on both sides of the car, but uneven in some way on the individual rear tires.

Toe in would have severe uneven wear on the outside of the tire and toe out will have severe wear on the inside of the tire.

Posting a picture would be best as tire wear vocabulary can be vague.

Posting your alignment settings from the print out the alignment shop should have given you would be best.