E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Intermittent poor acceleration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 E430
Intermittent poor acceleration

Hi guys,

Have a 2002 E430 with 89k miles, that just started to not accelerate upon stepping on the gas pedal. The car starts up fine. On 2 occasions today, after coming to a stop at a red light, the car would slowly accelerate. I would stomp the gas pedal all the way down and it would just slowly pick up speed. The rpm's would slowly go up. The car has not turned off on me, just the slow pickup.

I've searched through the threads, but most of what I found was related to the car stalling.

Thanx in advance.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:03 PM

2001 E430, Obsidian Black w. Ash/Orion Grey, 195,000 mi.
Try an ECU reset. I don't know the procedure offhand but you should be able to find it with a search.
Fred
Originally Posted by 02430
Hi guys,

Have a 2002 E430 with 89k miles, that just started to not accelerate upon stepping on the gas pedal. The car starts up fine. On 2 occasions today, after coming to a stop at a red light, the car would slowly accelerate. I would stomp the gas pedal all the way down and it would just slowly pick up speed. The rpm's would slowly go up. The car has not turned off on me, just the slow pickup.

I've searched through the threads, but most of what I found was related to the car stalling.

Thanx in advance.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 428 Likes on 353 Posts
MB’s
Try this

Get in the car,close the door,turn the key to the on position,---not to run--- ,just to the position that all the lights come on,the reason for this will be obvious in a second!!!!!!!!!!Step all the way down to the floor on the gas pedal(reason why you do not want it running) and keep your foot floored,while keeping it to the floor,wait 15 seconds,still keeping it to the floor,turn the key to OFF.Now wait a few seconds and let your foot off the pedal.Now sit there for 2-3 minutes,and then exit the car.Please follow these instructions to the letter,some people have been known to not read the caveat about the engine not running and sit there with it floored and on the park position rev limiter and wonder why the engine shook and cut out at 4000 rpm.....
Also some cars that have been driven in a stately manner will go from very docile shift points back to the much firmer higher rpm factory settings,so use you foot accordingly.
some cars wake up more then others in response to the reset.
While you are waiting a few minutes to go for a drive,take that time to check your oil,examine your belt,look around and enjoy day. And also leave the key in the ignition while you wait the 2-3 minutes after turning to off position,then you can take out the key and exit the car.

I have herd this procedure works on acceleration issues. Good luck.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:38 AM

2002 E430
It worked!

Got to admit I was a bit skeptical of the ecu reset, but I went ahead tried it. Been driving it for two days, about 140 miles, and have had no problem. Matter of fact, she's been running pretty nice! Shifting is smooth, more responsive throttle, and overall "tighter" feel.

Looking back, when I would have the slow takeoffs from a stop light, the car was probably starting in 3rd or fourth gear, hence the slow revving up of the engine.

Thanx again guys, this the third or fourth time this forum has helped save me time and money.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
92 500sel/01 320e wag
I had a similar problem it was fine untill it down shifted, it cleared on a restart. The problem was a bad accelerator sensor on fender liner.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:36 PM

2002 E430
Problems back

My car was running very well up until today when I drove up Mt. Baldy. Happened about 6 or 7 times, after I stepped on brake, the car would not accelerate. The rpm's wouldn't go up, just no response to the throttle.

Any suggestions?