E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Wagon CD changer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 Mercedes E320 Wagon & 1927 Bugatti Kit Car
Wagon CD changer

My "99 wagon has a louvered panel in the CD changer compartment and I believe this is where water is entering when it rains. Are these louvers designed to dissipate heat or for something else? It seems every time it rains my CD changer doesn't work, I have removed the accumulated water and I am waiting for any residual moisture to dry out and I hope this will work. Any Ideas?
Old 01-06-2011, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
I would assume being an electronic component that any openings would be for thermal control. However a CD changer wouldn't generate much heat. I sold my changer but can't recall any louvers.

But have you been able to find where the leak is coming from?

The changers can be problematic. I think a lot of people have gone to either a new headunit with CD capability or an AUX-IN cable for an MP3 player.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 Mercedes E320 Wagon & 1927 Bugatti Kit Car
Originally Posted by RichardM98
I would assume being an electronic component that any openings would be for thermal control. However a CD changer wouldn't generate much heat. I sold my changer but can't recall any louvers.

But have you been able to find where the leak is coming from?

The changers can be problematic. I think a lot of people have gone to either a new headunit with CD capability or an AUX-IN cable for an MP3 player.
The louvers are actually in the well itself and water could be entering through them, but there is always the possibility that water is entering from somewhere else. I don't know how to make that determination. I have duct taped over the louvers to see if that corrects the water problem but I won't know until it rains again.
When you suggest a new head unit does that mean in the dash which only loads one CD at a time? I would hate to lose the 6 CD capabilities of the original changer.