E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

My (theoretical) P0410 Workaround / Bypass

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 E420
My (theoretical) P0410 Workaround / Bypass

My 97 E420 most definitely has a blockage in the cylinder heads stopping the flow from the injection pump.

I've been looking at other secondary air injection setups and came to this conclusion...

On several other systems, I've noticed that the air injection pump simply has a tube running from the pump into the exhaust manifold(s).

What's stopping me from using the same design?

If I were to drill/tap a hole in each manifold, run a brass tube to each tapped hole, tee the tubes together, and run a tube (with a one way valve for back flow prevention) from the injection pump to the tee, should this not bypass the blockage in the cylinder heads and keep the CEL off?

I have nothing to lose by trying this, but I sure thought I'd ask some knowledgeable persons before I broke out the brass tubing and drill!
I've got the skill to make it look professional. I know it's not MB politically correct, but wouldn't it solve the issue?

I see this as a better option than fooling around with the electronics to trick the car into THINKING that secondary air is working correctly.

Advice? Pros? Cons?

I've posted this on several forums, just because I want the best advice possible and will ask anyone and everyone that will answer.

Thanks everyone.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ml 320
Hi, did you receive any replies?P0410 workaround

Originally Posted by blackcoog
My 97 E420 most definitely has a blockage in the cylinder heads stopping the flow from the injection pump.

I've been looking at other secondary air injection setups and came to this conclusion...

On several other systems, I've noticed that the air injection pump simply has a tube running from the pump into the exhaust manifold(s).

What's stopping me from using the same design?

If I were to drill/tap a hole in each manifold, run a brass tube to each tapped hole, tee the tubes together, and run a tube (with a one way valve for back flow prevention) from the injection pump to the tee, should this not bypass the blockage in the cylinder heads and keep the CEL off?

I have nothing to lose by trying this, but I sure thought I'd ask some knowledgeable persons before I broke out the brass tubing and drill!
I've got the skill to make it look professional. I know it's not MB politically correct, but wouldn't it solve the issue?

I see this as a better option than fooling around with the electronics to trick the car into THINKING that secondary air is working correctly.

Advice? Pros? Cons?

I've posted this on several forums, just because I want the best advice possible and will ask anyone and everyone that will answer.

Thanks everyone.
Sounds a great idea to me. Have you heard from any gurus out there yet? Obviously the new air entry points would need to be upstream of the O2 sensor(s). Thanks.