E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Questions Before an Upcoming Wagon Purchase

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E 320 4Matic Wagon & 1993 Toyota Camry
Questions Before an Upcoming Wagon Purchase

I'm in the market for a W210 4Matic Wagon and have a few questions that I feel stupid for asking, but need answers to. Here they are:

1) I'm looking at a wagon that is advertised as a 4Matic, but the rear badges have been removed. What's the best way to ensure the car is, in fact, a 4Matic?

2) What is the difference between the standard and Bose Premium Sound packages? How do I know if a car has the Bose Premium Sound package? Will the head unit be any different? What should I look for?

I plan on having a proper PPI done before I lay down money for any car, but I'd rather not have to ask the mechanic if it has a Bose stereo, you know?

I realize that a complete set of records will contain this info, but thus far none of the wagons I've found for sale have a complete set of papers.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
Originally Posted by cbpeck
I'm in the market for a W210 4Matic Wagon and have a few questions that I feel stupid for asking, but need answers to. Here they are:

1) I'm looking at a wagon that is advertised as a 4Matic, but the rear badges have been removed. What's the best way to ensure the car is, in fact, a 4Matic?

2) What is the difference between the standard and Bose Premium Sound packages? How do I know if a car has the Bose Premium Sound package? Will the head unit be any different? What should I look for?

I plan on having a proper PPI done before I lay down money for any car, but I'd rather not have to ask the mechanic if it has a Bose stereo, you know?

I realize that a complete set of records will contain this info, but thus far none of the wagons I've found for sale have a complete set of papers.
1) There is a propeller shaft, transfer case and axle shafts to the front wheels which are visible when looking under the car. Turn steering wheel all the way in one direction to get better view.
2) Right side panel in the cargo area of the wagon should have a BOSE emblem as well as one for the first aid kit. But it someone has removed exterior badges maybe those are gone too.

You can join EPC-net online, enter the VIN of the car you are considering and select 'data card' from the menu bar. Select SA code to see what came on the car from the factory. Code 810 is the Premium Sound System (BOSE). Also, entering the VIN will display the Chassis and Transmission Codes. Digits 4-6 of the Chassis code is the submodel. For 4Matic wagons it should be 282.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:46 PM

WOW. After a few minutes of navigating, that was an EMMENSE help. It looks like the (out of state) car I'm considering is equipped with 4Matic & Bose Sound as well as almost 40 other SA codes. I suppose the next step is to find out what all of those other codes mean.

Thanks so much.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:56 PM

RichardM98,

Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge.

EPC is listing what all of the codes for this car mean, but I'm unclear on a few of them. Could you please help me understand these:

SA Code Designation
800 AEJ 06/1/M/X
955 EQUIPMENT PACKAGE ELEGANCE
634 DELETION - FIRST AID KIT
636 DELETION - WARNING TRIANGLE
668 Packaging for shipping vehicles with tie-down hook

Code 800 is simply beyond me. I'm not clear on what the Elegance package entailed. I'm wondering if codes 634 & 636 mean that a first aid kit and warning triangle were not included with the car for some reason. That seems strange.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
Originally Posted by cbpeck
RichardM98,

Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge.

EPC is listing what all of the codes for this car mean, but I'm unclear on a few of them. Could you please help me understand these:

SA Code Designation
800 AEJ 06/1/M/X
955 EQUIPMENT PACKAGE ELEGANCE
634 DELETION - FIRST AID KIT
636 DELETION - WARNING TRIANGLE
668 Packaging for shipping vehicles with tie-down hook

Code 800 is simply beyond me. I'm not clear on what the Elegance package entailed. I'm wondering if codes 634 & 636 mean that a first aid kit and warning triangle were not included with the car for some reason. That seems strange.
I used to know what AEJ was but can't recall.

W210's came in two or three different trim packages on the international market but I believe only the Elegance was imported to the US.

The deletions are to remove those factory items at the Port of Entry. The first aid kit is replaced by an US approved first aid kit. The triangle is not replaced and US dealers can't order one. Probably a DOT issue.

A lot of these 'options' were standard equipment on the US E-Class models.

However, there are 4 options to look for.

1) Heated seats - Switches to left and right of warning triangle at top of console.
2) Parktronic - Sensors at edge and corners of bumpers and display indicators to left and right of instrument cluster.
3) Multi-contour Seats - Controls between front seats and center console just in front of seat belt buckles.
and 4) Xenon Headlights - Bluish color and brightens gradually over 5-10 sec. Also, high voltage stickers on radiator support frame near headlights.

Last edited by RichardM98; 02-09-2011 at 06:52 PM.