MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W210) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w210-2/)
-   -   How do I get into the instrument cluster of my '99 E300 TD? (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w210/387475-how-do-i-get-into-instrument-cluster-my-99-e300-td.html)

djlien16 02-14-2011 01:34 AM

How do I get into the instrument cluster of my '99 E300 TD?

A few months ago the left side cover for the warning lights in my instrument panel came loose and I need to move it back into position. Whenever the brights are switched on there is an unbearable light omitted. How exactly can I get in there and move it back? Any help is much appreciated.

raymond g- 02-14-2011 02:01 AM

back up one level to the 210 index. see SEARCH on right? search this forum
using keywords "instrument cluster remove" or some such

also, can go to Benzworld dot org and search the 210 forum at top (Stickies)

RichardM98 02-14-2011 10:05 AM

If I understand you correctly, you may not need to remove the cluster. Instead remove the plastic cover under the steering wheel. Two or three phillips screws and the air louver on the side of the transmission tunnel (rotate black plastic fastener). Reach up and adjust that piece.

djlien16 02-14-2011 04:24 PM

Thanks guys, I figured I would just have to remove the bottom plastic panel. I try it out this weekend and let you all know how it goes.

dinoslim 08-04-2011 04:06 AM

I have the same problem with my instrumental panel like "djlien16" but I not quite understand how to remove this plastic in front of the instrumental panel, so please can you be more specific, thanks in advance!

RichardM98 08-04-2011 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by dinoslim (Post 4780988)
I have the same problem with my instrumental panel like "djlien16" but I not quite understand how to remove this plastic in front of the instrumental panel, so please can you be more specific, thanks in advance!

What I was referring to is the panel on the bottom of the dash under the steering column. If you remove it, you can reach up from below. If the little piece of plastic in the lower left corner of the instrument cluster has slipped (you can see white light) you can slide in back in place.

Hope that helps some.

lippu70 08-10-2011 09:07 AM

You can remove the whole instrument console by pulling it with like a coat hanger you have to use some strenght, I just have taken mine out and have send it to the United Kingdom to have it repaired as the Clock,mileage and the temperature lights went out.

RichardM98 08-10-2011 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by lippu70 (Post 4788617)
You can remove the whole instrument console by pulling it with like a coat hanger you have to use some strenght, I just have taken mine out and have send it to the United Kingdom to have it repaired as the Clock,mileage and the temperature lights went out.

The bulbs in the back of the cluster are user replaceable. Just match bulb base color to get right wattage.