E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

COMMAND CD's and other questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2003 | 02:55 PM

2006 E55
COMMAND CD's and other questions

I suspect this has been asked and answered already. If so, I apologize and please bear with me.

I've just had the Euro COMMAND installed by Steve MBenzNL in my car. It's great. (I tell my wife it was an essential safety upgrade- as will be new 18" wheels when they are purchased!!)

I'm wondering, though, if I have the latest navigation CD. I've noticed that a couple of gas stations (or "filling stations", as the system calls them) in my town are not shown on my map. This causes me to wonder if there is a more current CD out there.

Questions: what is the most current CA/NEV CD? How much will the MB dealer charge me for the current CD?

A couple of separate questions for those of you with the COMMAND: how do you turn off the radio and leave the NAV system on i.e. turn off the radio without turning the entire COMMAND unit off? Secondly, is it possible to have the control buttons light automatically when you turn on the headlights i.e. without having to push the button which turns on the night screen? I've gone through the "SYS" process which is supposed to have the headlights switch turn on the button lights, but it still requires me to push the night screen button. The problem is that I fumber for the night screen in the dark, which is a nuisance...

Thanks!
Old 05-10-2003 | 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Re: COMMAND CD's and other questions

Originally posted by E430guy
I suspect this has been asked and answered already. If so, I apologize and please bear with me.

I've just had the Euro COMMAND installed by Steve MBenzNL in my car. It's great. (I tell my wife it was an essential safety upgrade- as will be new 18" wheels when they are purchased!!)

I'm wondering, though, if I have the latest navigation CD. I've noticed that a couple of gas stations (or "filling stations", as the system calls them) in my town are not shown on my map. This causes me to wonder if there is a more current CD out there.

Questions: what is the most current CA/NEV CD? How much will the MB dealer charge me for the current CD?

A couple of separate questions for those of you with the COMMAND: how do you turn off the radio and leave the NAV system on i.e. turn off the radio without turning the entire COMMAND unit off? Secondly, is it possible to have the control buttons light automatically when you turn on the headlights i.e. without having to push the button which turns on the night screen? I've gone through the "SYS" process which is supposed to have the headlights switch turn on the button lights, but it still requires me to push the night screen button. The problem is that I fumber for the night screen in the dark, which is a nuisance...

Thanks!
Mercedes is about to release a New CD per MBUSA Friday ..I Called re my Update Nav cd.

The Prices Change from dealer to dealer No Standard retail
its posted from mercedes but if you call Three dealers you will get Three different list prices..As The House of Imports is Different from Fletcher Jones and MB of Long Beach..go Figure

To Turn off the radio turn off the Head Unit then turn on the Nav
I Would Buy The Owners Man for the Nav Unit...

The Night Screen Should auto dim when the lights are on
Old 05-10-2003 | 03:26 PM

2015 C300
Here is how mine works (MY2000)

On my Comand there is no way to turn off the radio. You have to go to a different audio mode such as CD, or just turn the volume all the way down. If you do the latter, you will still hear the NAV voice commands. If you turn off the Head Unit and then turn on the Nav, the radio comes back on.

The day/night color can be controlled manually by the Disp Button or automatically by the Headlight Switch. To select which one you want, Press SYS, Settings, Display(Day/Night)..., then select either "Display Button" or "Display Button and Headlight Switch".

My MB dealer sells the NAV CDs for $150 each, or $300 for the whole country.
Old 05-10-2003 | 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S
The new Nav CD has actually been out for about a week. Mark or E430Guy PM me if you're interested. ;0) You know what I'm talking about...
Old 05-10-2003 | 05:20 PM

2006 E55
hpilot,

I tried the SYS, Steeings routine and checked the box to have the headlights control the night screen, but it doesn't seem to work. I'll try again. Thanks to all for the information.

Josh, let's talk.

Thanks,
Old 05-10-2003 | 05:39 PM

2015 C300
E430guy

If it doesn't work, it must be because the Comand was not installed in the factory. I guess that's why they say it cannot be retrofitted!
Old 05-10-2003 | 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
It should work.

My COMAND was retrofitted by MBenzNL and the screen changes to the night setting automatically when I turn on my lights.
Old 05-11-2003 | 01:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
Does somebody know what new on these new CDs? What areas were updated? What POI added? Is i t worth to update?
Old 05-11-2003 | 02:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S
Re: E430guy

Originally posted by hpilot
If it doesn't work, it must be because the Comand was not installed in the factory. I guess that's why they say it cannot be retrofitted!
A more accurate statement would be that it wasn't installed properly and that it can't be retrofitted by someone who's not familiar with the job. Steve (MBenzNL) also retrofitted my CLK with COMAND and it works perfectly. Integration with steering wheel controls, dash cluster, Bose Sound System, Fiber Optic CD changer, and soon to be installed TV tuner are all there. Oh and it works with my lights as well. ;0)