E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Headlamp Washer, Heated Seat & Door Lamp need attention

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E 320 4Matic Wagon & 1993 Toyota Camry
Headlamp Washer, Heated Seat & Door Lamp need attention

Hello all,

My wife & I received our 2000 Wagon on Monday and are slowly finding minor things we'd like to fix. A few of them have me a bit puzzled:

1) The lamp that illuminates the door latch in the driver's door isn't illuminating. I assume there is a bulb inside the door panel that is accessed by removing the cover behind the latch, but I'm not clear on how to remove that cover without breaking it. I assume this lamp is easily replaced and won't require removing the entire door panel.

2) The nipple for the passenger side high beam is missing from the headlamp washer nozzle. I know you can replace the whole nozzle for about $100, but I read in the forum that you used to be able to buy just the nipple (what I call it) and not have to do the entire nozzle. Is this true? If so, it should/would make the repair much cheaper.

3) The bottom element of the seat heater isn't functioning in the driver's seat. The back heater element of the driver's seat works well. How difficult is it to access the bottom heating element in the driver's seat? Is it necessary to completely disassemble the seat cushion? If so, does the seat need to be removed from the car?

These projects may simply require that I dig into the car a little bit, but since this is my first MB and I've only had it for 36 hours, I'm hesitant to get in over my head.

Thanks in advance for your input.

P.S. I also posted this in Benzworld
Old 03-02-2011, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E 320 4Matic Wagon & 1993 Toyota Camry
UPDATE

Updates:

#1: I pulled the cover off from behind the latch and the suspected lamp actually appears to be an LED that does not disconnect from its wire that runs down into the door. I'm not 100% yet, so I'll have my mechanic take a peek next time I'm in.

#2: No update. The dealer I purchased the car from really should have caught this, so I think I'll ask them to send me a replacement part & I'll do the simple install.

#3: The bottom heated seat element is now working. A fuse was missing from the fuse box under the rear seat. I realize the fuse may have been removed intentionally at some point by a previous owner or mechanic, so I'll have the battery checked to make sure the car hasn't developed a draw on the battery.

Last edited by cbpeck; 03-02-2011 at 08:50 PM.