E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

How will I know if an aftermarket radio will work with my amp?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 e320 4matic
How will I know if an aftermarket radio will work with my amp?

I took my car into a sound shop today and asked how much it would cost to get a new aftermarket radio, in my car long story short they told me it would be 850-1200 since they have to pull the car apart and replace the amps in the vehicle since they wouldn't be compatible with the bose ones,

I didnt believe them so I did some research and I found out that some people have aftermarket radios without changing amps and im wondering how will i know if one that i buy will be compatible with the bose speakers?

and is this one compatible?

http://www.amazon.com/JVC-KD-HDR60/dp/B003MPB5ZY

Last edited by Monroe; 03-21-2011 at 04:45 PM. Reason: add specific radio
Old 03-21-2011, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
i used to think the same way, but last month installed a pioneer head-unit that works w/ existing BOSE system - and i'm VERY pleased with(ck my other post).
For about $250, i got the unit installed and it included built-in bluetooth, USB jack to recharge/connect with iPod, as well as internal dvd player. it also has a wirless remote so the back seat passengers can switch input and adjust volume(esp if searching for ipod songs/playlists while driving).
the only negative i've found is the steering wheel volume/seek controls no longer work, and the clock adjustment is still impossible to figure out.
btw, if i didn't have integrated command/navigation unit for my other MBs, i would have replaced them already with this unit - definitely way cheaper than buying an MB bluetooth puck.
p.s. the sound is WAY better than the prior set-up. not sure if that's due to more power built in, or because it has numerous custom equalization adjustments.
good luck.
PL
Old 03-21-2011, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
The shop was trying to rip you off. Go to Crutchfield and plug in your car make/model/year. Select the radio you like. It will come with the headunit, a patch cord to connect the MB harness to the new radio and a set of 'radio keys' to pull out the old radio. Generally you will lose the CD changer but with an MP3 input that's useless anyway.

See the sticky by Skylaw in the audio forum for more details.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 e320 4matic
Thank you everyone for the feedback it was very helpful im glad i asked you guys instead of mindlessly doing what a guy at a shop tole me to do.