E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

looking for early W210, LA, for my daughter... several questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 01:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 E350 coupe Black/Almond, 61k miles in 2020
looking for early W210, LA, for my daughter... several questions

Hello all. Been a while since I posted.

My 2001 W210 E320 now has 151,000 on it, with very little work done on it since about 100,000 mile major service at the dealer. I'm quite surprised and please that this last 50k has been relatively trouble free, unlike the 50k-100k miles series of expensive fixes -- new dash display, new right front motor mount, new right rear cat, two transmission control thingies (where orange juice, then coffee spilled out of the cupholder), left front window lift, new gas tank after a year of intermittent engine stuttering, etc..

This past 50,000 miles of trouble free driving has got me encouraged to find a similar car for my 18 yr. old daughter who's budget is $5,000. She will use the car at college and put approx. 4,000 miles on it per year.

Craigslist Los Angeles has quite a few listed in that price range. One is a 1999 E420 with 185k for $4,500 that "my dad always took it to a local mechanic". Others are E320s with 100-130k on them.

I'm looking for your input and opinion on this plan of mine.

1) Is a 1999 E420 going to have a more reliable engine than a 1999 E320 (power is not an issue at all)?

2) I'm assuming the ideal car in her price range will be around at around 100k -150k miles, original owner, always serviced at the dealer, and already had the 100,000 mile service where spark plugs are changed out, transmission fluid is replaced, etc. However, I don't believe a single listed car meets all those criteria.

3) I noticed most of the ads show front headlight lenses with a yellowish film (I think of them as cataracts) after all these years. Is there an easy fix to this -- like the polishing ad I see on TV? Mine does not have that problem as they were replaced after a front collision three years ago.

4) In buying a 10-12 year old W210 w. 100k+ miles, I'm assuming I should pass on any car that doesn't have either Dealer of Indy Mechanic complete service history. Am I being too picky? What about servicing at a local gas station or "family friend mechanic"?

Thanks for your replies.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
Originally Posted by DunninLA
Hello all. Been a while since I posted.

My 2001 W210 E320 now has 151,000 on it, with very little work done on it since about 100,000 mile major service at the dealer. I'm quite surprised and please that this last 50k has been relatively trouble free, unlike the 50k-100k miles series of expensive fixes -- new dash display, new right front motor mount, new right rear cat, two transmission control thingies (where orange juice, then coffee spilled out of the cupholder), left front window lift, new gas tank after a year of intermittent engine stuttering, etc..

This past 50,000 miles of trouble free driving has got me encouraged to find a similar car for my 18 yr. old daughter who's budget is $5,000. She will use the car at college and put approx. 4,000 miles on it per year.

Craigslist Los Angeles has quite a few listed in that price range. One is a 1999 E420 with 185k for $4,500 that "my dad always took it to a local mechanic". Others are E320s with 100-130k on them.

I'm looking for your input and opinion on this plan of mine.

1) Is a 1999 E420 going to have a more reliable engine than a 1999 E320 (power is not an issue at all)?
IF its been well taken care of and not 'hot-rodded' then it should be the same but not more reliable. I would recommend a E320 for better gas mileage and less potential repair costs.

2) I'm assuming the ideal car in her price range will be around at around 100k -150k miles, original owner, always serviced at the dealer, and already had the 100,000 mile service where spark plugs are changed out, transmission fluid is replaced, etc. However, I don't believe a single listed car meets all those criteria.
I wouldn't reject a car for not having all the service done at a dealership. A good independent MB mechanic using the correct service recommendations is an acceptable alternative. You are correct about the ~100K maintenance. However, whether it's been done or not may be acceptable if the current owner is willing to make allowances for the cost of those services. I think that a largely intact service history is an important criteria.

3) I noticed most of the ads show front headlight lenses with a yellowish film (I think of them as cataracts) after all these years. Is there an easy fix to this -- like the polishing ad I see on TV? Mine does not have that problem as they were replaced after a front collision three years ago.
The headlight lenses can be polished out with any number of kits online or at auto parts stores. Might be a good first DIY project for your daughter.

4) In buying a 10-12 year old W210 w. 100k+ miles, I'm assuming I should pass on any car that doesn't have either Dealer of Indy Mechanic complete service history. Am I being too picky? What about servicing at a local gas station or "family friend mechanic"?
Of course, that's the whole gamble of any used car. From my experience the farther you get from a MB trained mechanic the less likely they are to know and follow MB service procedures. When buying a car that has 100K and which you expect to drive safely and reliably for another 50K it's safer to chose a well maintained car.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2007 SL55 AMG
This is slightly off topic, but can you explain more about the intermittent engine stuttering that required you to replace the gas tank?
Old 05-06-2011, 03:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 E350 coupe Black/Almond, 61k miles in 2020
re: gas tank replacement: the engine would act like it wasn't getting enough gas... stutter, shake, etc. It would ONLY happen when the gas was at 3-4 gallons or less in the tank, never when more than 4 gallons were in the tank. For almost a year I would only get under 4 gallons when I forgot to fill up for too long. The stutter would start at 3-4 gallons when I went around corners. Then as the gas got lower, it would happen almost all the time on flat driving. I would floor the gas pedal and only get 45mph tops. Spark plugs were first replaced (since I was at 96,000 miles anyway), then after that it was diagnosed as a "gas sending unit", if I recall correctly, that was cracked or messed up. Anyway, as I recall the dealer charged parts only... I think it cost me about $800, but that was four years ago so I honestly can't remember.

Last edited by DunninLA; 05-06-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'99 E430, '05 ML500, '15 GLK350
Get a post-2001 E320, with as few miles as you can afford. Has the most bugs worked out of it, the M112 is more reliable than the E420. She'll also appreciate it when $6 gas is here.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 S210 3.8L Brabus wagon
Agree with above post. Post June 1999 face lift cars have more than 1800 upgrades according to MBUSA from the initial launch in 1995 of the W210 chassis. They are better looking, I think, and are at the end of the model cycle so they come with the latest changes for that design. An M112 E320 V6 is better on fuel for the starving college budget and less expensive to maintain while still providing ample performance. A quarter million mile life can be easily had if properly maintained and serviced with oil changes regularly. It is an 8.5 quart system which is huge for a V6. These motors are very stout and overly built. A colleague of mine has turned over 515,000 on his 2000 E320 with only regular oil changes and normal wear items. It is the original motor and trans. Mobil one full synthetic every 15k with a filter. He also works for Mobil oil and his car was one of a test fleet project for life span of the oil with Mobil. Buy the lowest mile model and the newest you can afford of the 320 lot. The lens can be polished with a Meguiar's plastic lens kit at the local auto parts store and can be done in 20-30 minutes per side. Tape off the edges of the fenders first so you do not burn through the paint.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
The 420 is less reliable than the 320.

You're probably being too picky. Look for a car in good shape. It can have a great service history but still be in mediocre shape. I'd rather have a car in better shape with less history. I'd rather have a car serviced by an Indy with his reputation on the line than a full dealer history. Get it inspected if in doubt. I'd also rather spend less and save it for repairs than seriously overpay for a perfect car. Flipside, buying a junker will also run you more in the long run. You want a good car at a good price, something right in the middle.

Headlights are easy to polish.