E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Moving back to Canada - taking E430 along with me?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2002, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Mercedes E550 4matic
Question Moving back to Canada - taking E430 along with me?

Hello All,

Currently I am stuck in a bad situation. I am a Canadian Citizen, been working in USA for last 4 years, during my stay I bought 2001 E430 last year in June. What I found out yesterday from lot of different sources is that I can not take this car with me back to Canada. Transport Canada, Mercedes Canada and Mercedes Dealers told me that 2001 E430(as a matter of fact E-class) does not meet Canadian standards so it can not be imported and registered in Canada. I even phoned Mercedes Canada and asked them if I can get a compliance letter from them stating if it is OK to drive this into Canada they just said simple NO.

The other thing I found out from Canada customs that if you want to import a car into Canada they will put 7% GST, 7% PST, 6% Duty, Excise tax and fee for the paper work and all that on the original US price converted in to Canadian dollars.

If anybody who has dealt or heard this kind of situation please let me know because otherwise the only option I have is to sell this car and I do not want to do that being this a special-order car(Dream car for me) with all the options and all the accessories anybody can imagine.

I will really appreciate your help.

Regards.
Victor
Old 02-13-2002, 06:13 PM
svc

Mercedes-Benz A190 (W168) and E220CDI (W210)
Unhappy

Victor, I suffered a similar problem. I received as a part of payment from MB a brand new E220 CDI, FOB Stuttgart (I own a company that do business consulting to the new A and C Class factory in Brazil). Because in my country the diesel is forbidden for passenger cars, I asked the car to be delivered at my Miami office. So, I use the E220 once a month, at our monthly business meeting...
Want an advice? Sell the car and buy a Lexus. This one is accepted in Canada.

Sergio
Old 02-13-2002, 09:42 PM

Thumbs down

Thanks Sergio for replying.

The other thing I have found out from Mercedes Canada is that the reason Transport Canada won't allow US E-class into Canada is because the bumpers on US E-class are 2.5 mile only and the ones required in Canada are 5 mile impact. And they said the bumpers cannot be changed and none of the dealers will change because Mercedes Canada itself does not authorize this. I think all of this is just bogus.

There is some other hidden reason Mercedes Canada does not want US E-class into Canada perhaps because of being a popular model and Canadians coming and buying the car and taking back into Canada but the legitmate consumers like me have to suffer(This is what I think).

I guess the only option for me is to sell it unless if someone knows of anyother way to take and register this car into Canada.

Thanks,
Victor
Old 02-14-2002, 06:06 AM
svc

Mercedes-Benz A190 (W168) and E220CDI (W210)
Wink

Hi Victor,
What you think to keep the car registered in US at the address you have now and traveling with it to your country as a tourist?
Or it will be blocked at the border? I don't think so...
Extreme remedies for extreme situations.
Sergio
Old 02-14-2002, 12:11 PM

Hello Sergio,

That is a good idea but I have to think about it as I am planning to move permanently back to Canada. Let me know if any other ideas you have.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Victor