E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Trunk Leak, but not the trunk gasket?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
Trunk Leak, but not the trunk gasket?

My 1998 E320 has been having a leaking trunk issue that I've noticed over the past few months.

The leak is on the left hand side and the water seems to come out a hole on the same panel where the speakers are mounted (which is under the rear windshield). It's running into that hole from somewhere and the inside of the car where the speaker/tail light are is dry.

I'd only noticed the exact spot (the hole) after I'd changed out the trunk gasket and found it still leaked.

I'm sure I could plug the hole and see what happens and save my cd player from getting moisture, but that water is coming in from somewhere. Any guesses?

(2 photos: where the water drips, and the hole in the speaker panel area)
Attached Thumbnails Trunk Leak, but not the trunk gasket?-photo.jpg   Trunk Leak, but not the trunk gasket?-22.jpg  
Old 06-15-2014, 06:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
Wow. It's been a while since I've seen this post... Anyway, if anyone else finds themselves with this problem...

A rivet between the rear windshield and the body frame had popped off from extreme cold weather. I was living in Minnesota and would park in a heated garage. After doing this daily a rivet popped in my trunk and I didnt think anything of it.

Years later, living at the beach recovering, the rainwater started pouring through that hole. A glass shop put a hose on it, and then pulled the flashing off. Then saw the popped rivet, filled it with silicone and I was all set. No charge, but I got them a case of beer for fixing a problem that drove me crazy.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
You must be in a time warp-----years later----come on it's only been at most three years since your first post-----this is gotta be one of those sleeper posts!!

Never the less thanks for the follow up solution!! Lets just hope that future whiners use the search button and find your fix!!