E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

E320 4Matic wagon suspension problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes E320 Wagon 4Matic, Toyota Prius, Hyundai Accent
E320 4Matic wagon suspension problem

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshowes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Hi, I have a 1998 E320 Wagon with 4matic. The car has about 150,000mi. When the car is parked empty in the garage it is not level to the floor. I measured the distance from the floor to the highest point on the fender and got 27” on the left and 26-3/8” on the right. This is enough of a difference to be noticeable without much trouble. The hydraulic reservoir is full at the top (max fill) line and has not changed noticeable since I filled it up (perhaps 1/2") about 1 year ago. I did not see any external leaks near at the reservoir or in the back of the car. I think the ride is a bit “loud” from the back and a lower speeds feels more bumpy than any other Mercedes I have driven; but those were always newer and/or had conventional shocks though.

I did a few tests:

1) Run the car without loading it down. In this case the height over the floor does not change compared to the height when the car was off. I did find that the hydraulic fluid in the reservoir dropped by about 3/8”

2) I then loaded a bunch of people into the back of the car, both the back seat and the cargo space. When the car was not running the same fender location I mentioned before was now 24-1/2” (left) and 24-1/8” off the garage floor.
Now I ran the engine and the car was “pumped up”. The left went to 25-1/2” and the right to 25”. The fluid in the reservoir was down roughly 3/4".

What worries me is that the car is always “leaning to the right.” Does anybody know how that is possible?
I am reading a lot about the leaking accumulators. Could this be the problem here?
How about the hydraulic suspension valve that adjusts the height. Could it be responsible for the lean? Any ideas on how to test it?

Thanks, Helge
Old 08-02-2011, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
"...the car is always 'leaning to the right.' ” Maybe the former owner was a Republican.

Just out of curiosity I checked my wagon and got 68cm on left and 67.8cm on right. No sign from the rear that it is not level.

Your SLS seems to be behaving normally with respect to load/fluid reservoir level. Have you carefully checked your tire pressure? Or you could try switching the rear tires. AFAIK the system is designed to maintain front/back leveling not side to side although I may be wrong.

Generally, if the shocks are leaking there's some evidence on the outside. Easiest way to inspect is pull off a rear tire. If you find one of the shocks is leaking please sit down before checking the price.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 S210 3.8L Brabus wagon
[QUOTE=RichardM98;4778575]"...the car is always 'leaning to the right.' ” Maybe the former owner was a Republican.

J AFAIK the system is designed to maintain front/back leveling not side to side although I may be wrong.

Definitely republican LOL.
You are correct in that the system only balances front to rear and not side to side. Side to side is accomplished with the spacers in the spring perches. Not uncommon to find different sizes left to right.