E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)
Old 06-15-2015, 04:36 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Diagnostics
Print Wikipost

Ignition switch sometimes doesn't recognizes remote key

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes e240 2000
Originally Posted by Jacek123
Yeah i have done this allready one time, but i just wanted to know if its possible to buy this part separately.. i found websites like this:
https://www.distrelec.de/rfid-transp...4408af-112j-04
or
http://www.grupopremo.com/in/technol...inductors.html

But i dont know which coil i would have to buy, becuase i dont know how many Ohm, KhZ and so one the right own should have. its about 11mm long and i have found allready some of them..
CAN I TRANSPLANT MY CHIPS FROM MY FOB KEY & WILL IT WORK,HELP ME PLEASE.THANKS..?
Old 06-03-2016, 08:02 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
W209, W124
1. Have a look at your computer keyboard, see if something has gone afoul with your "Caps Lock" key.

2. We will need details and pix to answer your question, otherwise we are guessing.
Old 09-10-2020, 12:13 PM

2004 Mercedes-Benz CL55 AMG
New Ignition switch whole lot of issues now.

Hello everyone,I just got my car out of the shop 3 days ago.I needed a new ignition switch put in and programmed.When I got to the shop there were still tools in my car..and it was a huge mess.the mechanic told me that he needed to show me something he pointed down on the floor on the passenger side he had pulled up the carpet and removed the metal cover and pad and he had run all sorts of wires to the box that is there.For those who dont know what I'm talking about it's a spot in my car in case im ever locked out of my trunk and cannot get to my battery..I can jump my car from there.well.there is all sorts of wires and he tells me he blew out the white box and if I cant get power to just push one of these wires in more and I will get power..The issue was my ignition switch I gave him my original keys and when I got there he handed me my keys and than handed me a key that is very different than my original keys.Iam aware that the key that he handed me that started my car is not the one I paid for through MercedesBenz and the ignition switch is probably not either..It doesnt even have the silver like seal on it that is the last thing that goes on when you put one in.The issue that I'm having is the next morning I go out to my car and long behold my car has absolutely no power at all.My battery is dead..Does anyone know what the mechanic did to my car and why he decided to mess with the area under passenger side flooring .can anyone help me?thanks so much
Old 03-04-2021, 09:39 AM

Mercedes e220 cdi convertible
Key fob not recognised,

Hi all, I had a problem last Saturday. I opened the doors no problem but when inserting key in ignition, there was nothing. No familiar sound. The key turns normally but there's nothing happening. After going online and researching this problem, nothing worked. I had my son drive to me with the spare key and that didn't work either. I then read somewhere, to check the handbook and went to the trouble shooting. Low and behold, it told me to shake the steering wheel on entry of the key. Everything lit up as usual and it has been fine since. I couldn't believe something as simple as that worked. I hope this helps. I've only done this the but I hope it works next time and hope it helps you. I have a Mercedes e220 cdi convertible 2012
Old 09-07-2021, 02:34 PM

GL 550
Originally Posted by Jiffy Jeff
Hi all, I had a problem last Saturday. I opened the doors no problem but when inserting key in ignition, there was nothing. No familiar sound. The key turns normally but there's nothing happening. After going online and researching this problem, nothing worked. I had my son drive to me with the spare key and that didn't work either. I then read somewhere, to check the handbook and went to the trouble shooting. Low and behold, it told me to shake the steering wheel on entry of the key. Everything lit up as usual and it has been fine since. I couldn't believe something as simple as that worked. I hope this helps. I've only done this the but I hope it works next time and hope it helps you. I have a Mercedes e220 cdi convertible 2012
@Jiffy Jeff Do you have any update on a solution to this problem? I have a 2011 GL550 that is having the same issue. My mechanic is unsure what to do. I would like to know a real tried and true fix before throwing money at it. Mine is getting very bad at times. May take 5 minutes or more to start and my wife refuses to drive it.

Love the car, don't mind paying for a fix but don't have the $$ for exploratory surgery either.

Thanks for your help
Old 03-13-2022, 04:49 AM

e350
So this is an old post but it is the only real discussion I found on the net about this exact problem (after watching some YouTuber who wasted my time). I got a temporary solution but looking for permanent one. So I have E350 with the same issue as everyone. I can lock/unlock car, press start buttons and some of the lights turn on, the steering wheels start to come down but the engine won’t start!! This happens with both of the keys I have (both batteries were replaced just in case ). I try multiple times, wait few minutes, try few things, I lock/unlock, kick the tires and curse at the stupid piece of ***…and somehow it works. It is not the fuse because it would work fine few minutes later! Now, this started to happen more often than I like and I got to find a better and fast way to get me moving. From what I tried, this is my temporary solution that works from the first attempt 90% of the times. first I must get out of the car and lock it. Then, I press the unlock buttons on my key and HOLD to get all the windows down. I get in and press start and it works. Sometimes I have to do this more than once but it works. It looks ridiculous to get in/out of the car doing this multiple times, but it is what it is until I figure how to fix it. If anyone got a real solution please let us know.

Originally Posted by Jiffy Jeff
Old 06-16-2022, 03:42 PM

2010 S550
Intermediate key fob not working

2010 Mercedes 2010 S550
Hello, I’m having Issues with my key fob working. I have change the battery in it. I have change my car battery also.The key fob will not lock or unlock the car. Sometimes I put the key in the ignition and it won’t start the car. When this happens( after several attempts of trying to start the car) the key fob will work. It will lock and lock the car, the mirrors will turn in and out alarm will work etc…But after several days it stops again, nothing works but it starts the engine I’m able to drive but can’t lock or unlock the car with the fob… also, I can’t manually lock the driver side door, all the other doors will lock but not the driver door. When m driving all the doors will lock…
so I need help a solution or some good advice, thanks in advance

Last edited by dj reminisce; 06-16-2022 at 03:45 PM.
Old 06-18-2022, 01:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 164 Likes on 149 Posts
99 E320
since you posted within a w210 forum they key system isn't necessarily going to generate pertinent ideas for your car. it is a decade older.
that said, there is a nice tool you can try (shy of asking a dealer for help) which is quite inexpensive

you may want to consider testing the basics like the car battery. having a low charge may inhibit certain appliances from working properly
Old 06-21-2022, 03:25 PM

Received 247 Likes on 149 Posts
2018 E400W4 EU Delivery 1999 E320 2022 E53 COUPE
I just ordered another key. Problem fixed .
Old 10-31-2022, 11:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
E55 C43 993C2S
Originally Posted by Wassaby
I just ordered another key. Problem fixed .

I've just started experiencing this problem on W210 E55, and have started carrying both FOBs. Both have new batteries and the each work at different times. A royal PIA.

Is it that a new FOB is required, or there's an issue with the ignition itself?
Old 10-31-2022, 11:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
E55 C43 993C2S
Originally Posted by raymond g-
since you posted within a w210 forum they key system isn't necessarily going to generate pertinent ideas for your car. it is a decade older.
that said, there is a nice tool you can try (shy of asking a dealer for help) which is quite inexpensive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJIP6qEvvBA

you may want to consider testing the basics like the car battery. having a low charge may inhibit certain appliances from working properly

That's a cool tool.