E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Brake pad lining fell off of OEM pads!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 03:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'01 W210 E320 CDI
Brake pad lining fell off of OEM pads!!!

The other day I leave a car park and help! No Brakes!!! The pedal was soft and 'disappeared' right into the floor. It takes a few seconds until I realised I should slam on the parking brake but the car was already sticking half out on the main road! Luckily no-one passed by at the moment or was in front of me...

After a few pumps the pedal got firm again and braking returned but with a terrible grinding metal-to-metal sound.

I carefully drove, via local low speed roads, to my MB-indy and as it turned out my front pads were almost gone without a wear-warning(!) and one pad on the driver side lost it's last bit of lining. Upon removing the passenger side pads one of them also has a loose lining...

I have no idea if this CAN happen with worn pads but if this happened on the freeway there would be no time to react and I would have hit the car in front of me at full speed!!!
Old 10-02-2011, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
I'm glad to see no one was hurt. Hauling a trailer puts quite a bit more load on the brakes so it's probably a good idea to inspect them more frequently than every 'A' service.