E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

1998 E320 petrol leak from fuel filter area

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e320
1998 E320 petrol leak from fuel filter area

My E320 has a mysterious petrol leak - it only seems to occur when the car is started and driven after not being used for a week or two - yesterday, after being unused for a couple of weeks, I took the car out of the garage and just drove it a few yards up the driveway - when I got out (with the engine still running) I noticed a strong smell of petrol and a large fuel leak dripping from under the car in front of the left rear wheel. After switching off the engine the leak continued for some minutes until it stopped. Looking under the vehicle the leak was coming from around the plastic cover beneath the fuel pump and fuel filter- looks like the cover was filling with petrol - the only things above the cover are the fuel pump and fuel filter, the latter having 4 hoses connected to it. Today I removed the plastic cover but no sign of any leaks - I started the engine - still no leaks - drove the car for a few miles but still no leaks! Car has done the same thing a few times now after not being driven for some days/weeks. I did replace the petrol filler cap but no difference. Can anyone offer any explanation please. Ian.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e320
Just wish to report that the problem has now been solved - it was just a deteriorated hose connection on to the filter outlet - I replaced the fuel filter and the rubber hoses - simple job - and everything now OK. Ian.