E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Transmission fluid leak after Replacing CV axle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 E 320

I changed out my passenger side CV axle this past weekend following direction from this forum. Now I have a slow transmission fluid leak coming from the point where the CV axle goes into the transmission. I noticed the burning smell and have found 3 spots on my drive way slightly bigger than a quarter from the last 3 times I have parked.

I am 99% positive that I snapped the circlip in all the way to the transmission when I put the new CV axle in. Is there a seal/ O ring or something that could have gone bad or fallen off that I didn't notice?

What should I do?

Thanks,

2002 E320 4matic
150,000 miles
Old 06-07-2013, 08:48 PM

1999 E320 4Matic
Question Any Info or updates?

Hello, i'm wondering if anyone else has had this same problem too,and if so,what were the damages? I just Got my car back from an independent in My area,after having both front outer axle shafts replaced, now im leaking fluid,and its smelling burnt. The indy wont touch it again, and its looking like i may have to take it in To the Dealership if i cant find a solution. Any help is Very greatly appreciated,and thank you in advance.

1999 E320 4Matic 128,000 miles

-Anthony.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
You won't like my response, however the first thing you have to ask yourself is where is it leaking. Put the car on a lift and do a visual inspection.

If the leak is coming from the transfer case shaft seal, I can appreciate that Seattle Sam won't touch the car----loads of special tools/time for a 8 dollar part, plus you have to know what you are doing!!!
Old 06-09-2013, 11:51 PM

1999 E320 4Matic
Thumbs up Transfer case seal

Originally Posted by Plutoe
You won't like my response, however the first thing you have to ask yourself is where is it leaking. Put the car on a lift and do a visual inspection.

If the leak is coming from the transfer case shaft seal, I can appreciate that Seattle Sam won't touch the car----loads of special tools/time for a 8 dollar part, plus you have to know what you are doing!!!
Thank you for your reply, I Had The car at the dealership yesterday, and they informed me it is the passengers side shaft seal, there price on the part is $14 however i Did find A Certified repair shop to do the job, i'll find out tomorrow the cost as i also have new ball joints going In. Thank you again, and hopefully he has those Special tools.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:16 AM

99 Mercedes E320 4MATIC

I have exactly same problem you described. I had both front axle replaced by independent garage two weeks ago. Noticed fluid leak on passenger side from axle end connected to engine. Brought the car back yesterday to have them checked and they tell me they can not fix the leak.

How and where did you have it finally repaired? And how much did you end up paying for the fix?
Old 02-21-2014, 07:34 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
Here is just another case of being cheap and going to a repair shop recommended by the girlfriend----now without the proper tools the shop can't fix their screw up. They just say I can't fix that!!

Now we get the whining----what to do!!!---accept the leak or head to a good transmission shop that may have the special tools to do the job!!
Old 02-21-2014, 05:43 PM

1999 E320 4Matic
Originally Posted by Navinpatel
I have exactly same problem you described. I had both front axle replaced by independent garage two weeks ago. Noticed fluid leak on passenger side from axle end connected to engine. Brought the car back yesterday to have them checked and they tell me they can not fix the leak.

How and where did you have it finally repaired? And how much did you end up paying for the fix?
Hello, after going back and talking with the Indy (who was a family friend), he was able to replace the seal, & didn't charge me anything. As for the"special" tools when I asked him about it, was informed they've become more common now on cars,that most shops will need them in order to even touch cars of that nature. Since then I've had the same Indy replace the timing chains on my 01 XJ8 without any issue. And still cheaper and more trustworthy than the stealership.

As for in your case,Idk what a shop by you would charge for labor, but I asked then what his going rate would have been,& he told me for that job $75 flat. So,just check around and see, & good luck!