E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Dreaded Coffee spill, shifter locked in Park

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 01:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 clk 55 conv., 03 E500, 01 E55, 03 F350, FJR1300....
Dreaded Coffee spill, shifter locked in Park

FYI for those who spill liquids into Tranmission Control Module.

Had the dreaded coffee spill into the center console and shifter area.(Thank you Wife)
I regretfully limped the car home, after doing the emergency shifter override with all the dash and check engine lights illuminated. ( Try not to start engine if you spill liquids before drying out area !)

After removing and drying out the Transmission Control Module, doing the electrical cleaner spay and placing in front of heater for 24 hours, all functions returned to as normal. Car drives fine (no limp mode) except for the shifter would not come out of Park unless you overide the lock with a pencil.

I R&R shifter, played with conectors and module numerous times to no avail. Obviously something fried in there.

I confirmed brake switch circuit to pin 5 on TCM plug to exclude brake switch failure(have 12v imput on pin 5 when applying brake pressure to pedal) and confirmed solenoid function for electronic lock (applying 12v to solenoid).

So to the point.

I searched for hours through threads to see if anyone jimmy-rigged their shifter after TCM fried. If your module fails there is a way to override lock albeit it may not be the safest method, as the shifter will shift out of Park without key in ignition.

Remove TCM from vehicle, then remove the four anti tamper torx bolts from shifter and pull unit appart. But before doing so there is a black plastic cover that hides some electrical connections that have to be pulled appart. Be careful and gently pry appart just one of the plugs as thats all that is needed for shifter to pull appart.

Once appart remove snap ring on cam lock (just above solenoid at rear of shifter) and pull off cam. Thats all! You just bypassed electronic lock-out of shifter so you no longer need pen or pencil to shift out of park!

Warning !!! You should probably replace TCM when convenient, but if your broke like I am right now, this is a quick fix. Just remember car will shift out of Park without depressing brake pedal or without having key in the ignition!!!

SO MAKE SURE TO USE YOUR PARK BRAKE!!! ESPECIALLY IF YOU LEAVE A PET OR KIDS UNATTENDED INSIDE VEHICLE ! (which you never should!)