E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Trunk lid hinge question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 E320
Trunk lid hinge question

The driver's side trunk lid hinge appears to have bent by a rear end collision affecting the trunk lid. I have a replacement hinge but I can't figure out how to remove the hinge. I don't see any way to access the hinge pin. Has anyone here done this before? Thanks!
Old 01-08-2012, 12:17 AM

W210 E300D
I'm assuming your car is a w210 since you post in this section of the forum, but in the future try to post your cars model and year or at least add it to your profile.

In order to get to the bolt you need to remove rear parcel shelf, to do that you need to remove

1. Rear Seat and Backrest
2. Rear head restraints(very tricky)
3. Paneling on C-pillars(rear pillar by the rear window)

Then remove the spring on the hinge, unscrew the nut and pull out the bolt.

Once you've installed the new hinge put back the trunk lid, and adjust the hinge via the eccentric bolt it will affect vertical and longitudinal adjustment of the lid, before putting everything back together.

You'll have limited space to work with and will require some space to put the trims you remove, also be prepared that once you remove the pillar trims some clips and/or their mounts could brake off. If that happens you will need to re-glue the mounts back with epoxy or hot glue (using same technique as for the door trims) and replace broken clips with new ones.

Good luck and ask for more info if needed(try to be specific).
Old 01-08-2012, 08:13 AM

1999 E320
Thanks for your reply. You are correct, my car is a 1999 E 320. I had already removed the speaker from the package tray and I could insert my hand into the opening far enough to feel the nut but I could see there was no way to access the head of the bolt that way. I have been doing paint and body work (as a hobby) for over 40 years but this is the first Mercedes I have attempted to work on. I can see now why a Mercedes is so expensive. These things are built really well.