E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Metal Shavings in Timing Case

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E300 Turbodiesel
Metal Shavings in Timing Case

So I've got a 99 E300TD that I pulled the head to fix all the glow plugs, but to get one of the guide rail pins I had to drill it out (long story short the pin broke etc etc). Anyways, now there are some very minimal (but still existent) metal shavings left in the timing case, and I'm asking what's the best way to remove these and how good do I have to be about removing these (I'm young and I just got this car as a gift, this is my first REAL job on this car, but I love working on it). I checked out the WIS and I'd prefer not to have to pull the cover off the timing case (seems like a real pain because it uses so many special tools), but if I have to I will.

Thanks for the advice.

Jacob
Old 01-11-2012, 02:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 E240 Elegance
Removing metal shavings

Hi.
I reckon your best bet will be to get a decent magnet on the end of a telescopic antenna, or a dowel rod, and use that to pick up the shavings. You can also make an electro-magnet by winding insulated wire around a screwdriver, connect one end to the negative of the battery, and touch the other end to the positive. DO NOT hold it there for very long, since the coil you have created will have a low resistance, drawing a large current, and will get hot!!
So it's a case of, touch, pick up shavings, release, and shavings drop off. Job Done.
Hope this helps.