E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

New mirror installation 1998 E300TD - Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 E320 / 1998 E300
New mirror installation 1998 E300TD - Help

Purchased new mirror (side mirror including housing and internal mechanics) to replace my damaged mirror. I had no issues removing old mirror. It was broken anyways. I am having a heck of a time installing the new mirror.

I took off the housing from the mirror I purchased. It slid right off so I am guessing that is the way it was shipped to me.

Looks from what I can tell; best way is to remove the housing, install the mirror; then replace the housing.

I don't want to break it so I am going slow with the endeavor and now wondering if its just an age thing.

I removed the housing. Easy after reading the DIY. I noticed that the spring retainer is sheared off...floppy mirror syndrome.

The mirror is off so I have to install it too.

So in summary this is where I am at. Not that the car mostly sits in the garage and never driven.

1 - old mirror was broken and removed. Base plate to mirror was cracked but it appears from a previous repair.
2 - removed housing and noticed the floppy mirror syndrome thing with the spring clip appearing to be sheared off.
3 - purchased an entire mirror with housing and internal mechanisms as attached to the side of the car.
4 - purchased a separate mirror with heating element.
5 - installed "newer" replacement mechanism - easy plugnplay installation
6 - Mirror went into place just fine with the adhesive. (needed better light). Plugnplay again.

Removed old mirror mechanism, unplugged cables and installed replacement mechanism. Just noticed a small drip line of the what appears to be an oil drip from the old mirror. Not sure how long its been there but tried a "tar" remover solvent and it didn't remove the "oil" line.

Any suggestions on how best to remove the line on the paint caused by the "oil" between the mirror glass?

I'm an engineer by trade; not a car mechanic but it looks relatively simple.

I'm into photography a bit and did a pictorial. I am impressed with the assembly and infrastructure of the design.

Recently replaced the window regulator on one of my BMW's that mostly sits and noticed how well assembled the door panel was (330XI).

Last edited by PeteC; 03-17-2012 at 01:51 PM.