E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Brakes don't work.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E200 kompressor
Brakes don't work.

MHi all I hope you are well.

I wondered if you could help, my girlfriends car has an issue with the brakes. When the car has been not driven for a while or left over night the brakes don't work. The pedal also goes hard to press but once the car has been left running for a couple of minutes the brakes work fine.'
There is also a electronic pump noise coming from the right hand side of the engine (as you look at it) if the fuse No 25 is left in the noise continues until after the ignition has been turned off.

I think there may be a leak somewhere and the electronic pump is trying to build up pressure in the system.

Any ideas would be gratefully received .

The car is a e200 kompressor 2001

Thanks in advance.

Regards dominic
Old 04-02-2012, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W210 E320
Originally Posted by Dombe
MHi all I hope you are well.

I wondered if you could help, my girlfriends car has an issue with the brakes. When the car has been not driven for a while or left over night the brakes don't work. The pedal also goes hard to press but once the car has been left running for a couple of minutes the brakes work fine.'
There is also a electronic pump noise coming from the right hand side of the engine (as you look at it) if the fuse No 25 is left in the noise continues until after the ignition has been turned off.

I think there may be a leak somewhere and the electronic pump is trying to build up pressure in the system.

Any ideas would be gratefully received .

The car is a e200 kompressor 2001

Thanks in advance.

Regards dominic
Yes could be a leak...

Possibly air in the system, requires a bleed?

When was the last time the fluid was changed?

The brake booster cylinder may have failed?

Goodluck.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
190D 2.5 (x2), 190E 2.6, W202 C240,W202 C43 (C55), W210 E55, W212 E250CDI
It'll be a vacuum leak. The vacuum pump is trying to make up for the low vacuum in the booster. Have a look at the vacuum hose and the small hose that runs from the main line to the vacuum pump control module as this small line is more likely the be the leak than the main hose if the brake swork ok once the engine has been running. I'd suggest you check this soon otherwise the vacuum pump is likely to burnout from running all the time.