E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

remote locking problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 11:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 GLK350 4MATIC
remote locking problems

guys, i am having some trouble with my locks/remote and could really use some help. The situation is this. My power locks work just fine. if i am sitting in the car i can hit the central lock button and everything promptly locks/unlocks. if the car is locked and i am outside it, i can insert the key into the trunk, turn, and unlock all the doors at once. HOWEVER, neither of my remotes will lock or unlock the doors via button. Both have good batteries, my car battery is good, and both keys have been synced to no avail. where should i look next and what should i try? these keys are original to the car and are not replacements. They both start the car just fine. These symptoms occurred several years ago immediately after the car was in the body shop for some minor repair. When i push the remote button i see no flashes of either light on the rearview mirror if that helps. Im not sure what the problem could be and its getting to be quite an annoyance. Thanks so much for any suggestions in advance
Old 04-06-2012, 01:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 E320
Someone else posted that problem on this site. The answer was that the unlock button had become disengaged inside the key's casing. It seems to be a common problem with original keys to older cars.
mine does the same thing sometimes.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:56 AM

2011 GLK350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by R.Clermont
Someone else posted that problem on this site. The answer was that the unlock button had become disengaged inside the key's casing. It seems to be a common problem with original keys to older cars.
mine does the same thing sometimes.
but is it likely both would show the same symptoms starting at exactly the same time? when it returned from the body shop? both keys flash when i hold down the button and both do not work at all, as opposed to working intermittently. hope that better describes whats happening
Old 04-06-2012, 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
4 matic
none of the buttons work, trunk, panic etc?
Old 04-06-2012, 10:40 AM

1999 E320
reply to:
"but is it likely both would show the same symptoms starting at exactly the same time? when it returned from the body shop? both keys flash when i hold down the button and both do not work at all, as opposed to working intermittently. hope that better describes whats happening"

The keys flashing but not working is strange. When mine don't work, they also don't flash and when they do work they always flash.
<!-- google_ad_section_end -->I understand your suspicion about the malfunction occuring only after returning from the repair shop, but my judgement as to whether it's co-incidence or co-relation would be tainted by the numerous bad experiences I've had at a number of both privately owned and national chain franchises.

Did you take your key to a dealership to see if something needs to be reset?
Old 04-06-2012, 10:45 AM

96 e300d
mine does the same thing, but my green light on the rear view flash.

Mine seems more complicated, see if this is true to you. I don't have any power anything with out the key in the on position, then everything works perfect. so I think my locks are not getting power.

no dome light
no power lock
no power seat
no nothing till i turn the key, then all is like new. power locks, seats dome light ect.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:27 PM

2011 GLK350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by illest
none of the buttons work, trunk, panic etc?
my key only has one button. large and circular right in the center.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:31 PM

2011 GLK350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by R.Clermont
reply to:
"but is it likely both would show the same symptoms starting at exactly the same time? when it returned from the body shop? both keys flash when i hold down the button and both do not work at all, as opposed to working intermittently. hope that better describes whats happening"

The keys flashing but not working is strange. When mine don't work, they also don't flash and when they do work they always flash.
<!-- google_ad_section_end -->I understand your suspicion about the malfunction occuring only after returning from the repair shop, but my judgement as to whether it's co-incidence or co-relation would be tainted by the numerous bad experiences I've had at a number of both privately owned and national chain franchises.

Did you take your key to a dealership to see if something needs to be reset?
I have not taken it to the dealer. the closest one is a little ways away so i was hoping to avoid it as well as avoid any large bills i might incur while there. I suppose if i cant figure anything else out that will be my last resort. hopefully they will diagnose it for free or it will be a cheap reset?? maybe thats just wishful thinking, who knows
Old 04-06-2012, 12:37 PM

2011 GLK350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by CJATE
mine does the same thing, but my green light on the rear view flash.

Mine seems more complicated, see if this is true to you. I don't have any power anything with out the key in the on position, then everything works perfect. so I think my locks are not getting power.

no dome light
no power lock
no power seat
no nothing till i turn the key, then all is like new. power locks, seats dome light ect.
i just checked to see if i have similar problems and it seems that i am able to use those accessories without the key in the ignition or in the on position. however, i also suspect my locking system is without power or not getting any type of signal from the remotes. i just dont know where to go from here