E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Speaker quality in the E-Class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2003 | 05:28 PM

From: Long Island, NY / Mississauga, Ontario / Changhua, Taiwan
11 S550V4
thanks for the reply, whitey, and jimmy.... did those tweeters just fit into the door, or you had to mod it somehow?
Old 07-22-2003 | 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
They'd fitted in nicely - just make sure they're not too thick and don't use the back cover if it comes with one (can't remember how thick mine were but they're pretty standard looking and I actually thought they'd buldge out the speaker grill but all looks very normal in the end). Also, when you remove the original ones, there's a flat plastic frame that holds it in place, take those out and you'll be able to fit the new ones in.

I think another good option would still be to put them in those holes on top of the dash next to the corner of the windscreen - I'm guessing the effect would be better with the sound coming straight at you and the reflections off the windscreen might actually enhance the sound.....over to the techies to comment tho'.

Last edited by Whitey; 07-22-2003 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-22-2003 | 12:07 PM

11 S550V4
i was actually thinking about that too....
did you put in the tweeters yourself? if you did, can you send me DIY info?
Thanks!!!!
Old 07-22-2003 | 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Nop, like I said, 28 bucks fully installed but I did watch them do it and at one point I had to tell them how to take the panel off the door - based on what I'd remembered from one of the other threads (this board truly is educational - thanks !). It was one thread that I think one of the other regulars (Benz or E-klasse, I think) had posted that described in much detail on how to take the door panel off. I think the thread related to window problems, door squeeks or putting in wood surrounds for the door handle - sorry, can't remember for sure but if one of those guys are reading this, please point Paomien in the right direct . After you'd taken the door panel off, the triangular tweeter cover should snap off and you'll see a small round thing they call a tweeter there, take the whole thing including the plastic surround off, snip the wires and reconnect to the new tweeter, then sit it in the hole (no glue or tape required!). Reverse every step and remember to reconnect the wires for the airbag, windows etc.

It wasn't that difficult and they'd done it in less than 15 min whilst I sipped on my Diet Coke! Since they'd offered to do it for me, how could I decline? Good luck and do let us know how it sounds.
Old 07-22-2003 | 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Found the line on removing door panel:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=42004

Check it out, its really comprehensive.
Old 07-22-2003 | 06:20 PM

11 S550V4
thanks whitey! i don't think anybody here will do it for $28 including installation, but if i find a place that will do it at a decent price without screwing up my car i will let them do it.
I'll let you know how it sounds....
e-klasse...where did you get those wood door handles from??? they look super nice!!
Old 07-22-2003 | 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
$28 bucks is really cheap, I used to charge about $50 when I used to install. As for the tweeters in the doors or in the dash, it would be a matter of preference. I have had them in both, the dash and doors in some of my previous cars and the sound just as nice in either.

BTW paomien, I also have the wooden door handles and bought them through Performance Products at one of their sales for pretty cheap. They tend to run between $2-300 bucks at retail.
Old 07-22-2003 | 07:22 PM

11 S550V4
thanks jimmydagreek
i'm gonna try to look for a set of tweeters to install there....
anybody recommend anything?
Old 07-22-2003 | 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
BTW, hate to startle you guys, but it was $28 for the speakers, installation was free! Lets see how long they will last............so far, they seem to be able to handle blasting from from my Sony head unit without additional amp (4x40W, I think) .

This is HK and prices on things are getting cheaper everyday (except for official MB accessories, it seems ).
Old 07-23-2003 | 10:15 AM

Compared to most stock sytems, I can bear the Bose in my 99 e55. It is on the level of my Bose system from my 95 Eldo.
I do have a rattle in my left rear deck speaker. I am assuming it is blown. Are there any aftermarket replacements? Or do I have to go to a MB dealer.
Old 07-23-2003 | 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

JL Audio makes some nice stuff. I don't recall the exact size of the rear deck speakers but I'm sure they have the sizes you need as they have the ones for the doors and some really nice tweeters I've seen before. Try ebay, you'll find some good prices there...
Old 07-25-2003 | 02:31 PM

11 S550V4
whitey, so those tweeters produce enough sound to be satisfying, eh? what kind of music do you listen to? I listen to a lot of chinese pop and it's kinda dissapointing when you don't hear anything out of those cell-phone speaker quality door speakers.
Old 07-25-2003 | 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E300
The rear deck speakers are 6.5" subs. They are horrible in the low tones. But with my high pass filter for th erear speakers set at 80hz, it sounds sweet..... Well for now at least... I'm gonna replace the stock deck speakers with a pair of 5.25" components.
Old 07-25-2003 | 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Originally posted by paomien
whitey, so those tweeters produce enough sound to be satisfying, eh? what kind of music do you listen to? I listen to a lot of chinese pop and it's kinda dissapointing when you don't hear anything out of those cell-phone speaker quality door speakers.
Guess what? You're talking to the right guy buddy - Chinese + Canto pop IS one of the many types I listen to and you are correct, the lack of highs seem to be most apparent in that kind of music - that's what prompted me to explore the possibility of finding a solution in the first place. I can't say what I had done is the best but it has certainly enhanced the sound much much more to the point that I am happy that it sounds more like an MB system (given the price I'd paid and the minimal fuss involved!). BTW, is your headunit/deck original MB or has it been changed - my conclusion from this discussion is that once the head unit has been changed (mine's a Sony), the entire sound is fxxked, like mine.
Old 07-26-2003 | 12:19 AM

11 S550V4
whitey, I figured you listen to chinese and canto pop since you're in HK, man! You're right, this type of music makes the dissapointing parts of the hifi even more noticeable. I actually have the OEM headunit in the car, since I have the hands free phone and CD changer. I could swap the headunit, though, since I don't use that phone (who uses an analog phone nowadays?) I've wanted to change the speakers and add an amp, but I've heard that if I keep the stock headunit, adding an amp and speakers isn't going to do much; I got a price quote for a set of focal component polykevlars for the front and rear doors, plus an amp, including installation for $1000. The guy said I should replace the headunit, but I'd rather have it stock...so I don't know what to do....
Old 07-26-2003 | 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Why not try what I did? Surely a set of tweeters aren't going to cost an arm or a leg (even if they're not cheap $28 Korea jobs)? Put it this way, if they don't turn out to be super impressive, they'll still be an improvement since they'll be physically larger cones......

However, it is interesting you should have a stock system and still have the same experience as me (negates my original conclusion on this thread !). Good luck!
Old 07-26-2003 | 02:19 AM

11 S550V4
i'll try to look for tweeters to fit there.. i wonder if there's anywhere on the internet i can get my hands on a set? You're right, though, whitey, anything would be an improvement over what I have now...
Old 07-26-2003 | 03:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Thats the way, take the plunge my man! However, if you intend to redo the whole speaker system eventually, get ones that'll match what you have in mind (don't want to let it go to waste, right?).

To answer your previous question, yes, I got a lot more sound out of the new4 ohm tweeters - it is extremely noticeable, like I got extra speakers there in fact.

As Jimmy said, try Ebay.

Still can't understand why some others thought the original tweeters churned out a too much of highs if you don't with an OEM headunit....may be its cultural?
Old 07-27-2003 | 04:25 AM

11 S550V4
thanks again! what kind of search should I do on ebay?
Old 07-28-2003 | 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

thanks again! what kind of search should I do on ebay?
I did the search for you. Here is the link to get you started: Tweeters. Good luck...
Old 07-28-2003 | 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Yipee ! - woz beginning to think you wouldn't step in (I'm not familiar with Ebay ).

Aside: did any of you guys experience problems with this site during the day?
Old 07-28-2003 | 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No problems with the site today but do have problems on occassion.

Why did you think I wouldn't step in?!? I've been busy and getting busier lately is why it takes me some time to reply sometimes but I always at least try to get back...Work is becoming overwhelming.
Old 07-28-2003 | 05:39 PM

11 S550V4
thanks jimmydagreek!!!

yup whitey I had problems with the site all morning (your evening) ... i'll let you know how it turns out.. i have an appt at my local audio install place tomorrow, he said he has recommendations for me re: tweeters. Update you guys tomorrow!!!!

Do you think it would be better to leave them in the door, or put bigger ones in the two holes on the dashboard? (Where there are no speakers?)
Old 07-28-2003 | 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Do you think it would be better to leave them in the door, or put bigger ones in the two holes on the dashboard? (Where there are no speakers?)
It's merely a matter a preference. If you are going to be removing your door panels to upgrade the lower speakers or mids in your doors, then I would just install new tweeters in the doors. If you would like to go through the extra work to install them in the dash, then go for it. Good luck and let us know...
Old 07-28-2003 | 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Ya Jimmy - some of us do we have to work to fund our expensive hobby(ies) I'll prob have to lie low for a bit before I work on my car again - spent enough money lately and I'll need to focus on work again (especially cos I just found a job after 6 mths without). Next mod will be removing one of the mufflers to try get some extra pickup, the next time I take her in for a service (in a couple of months).

Paomein: I think someone mentioned you'll have to take wires thru the door hindge to the dash (presumably from the x-over) so it might be a lot of extra work (especially when u have to take apart the dash - I certianly wouldn't know know how). On the otherhand, if you leave the tweeters in the doors, its simple. Good luck!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Speaker quality in the E-Class